Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "IEPROXY.DLL" error. Windows Explorer is un-responsive  (Read 8071 times)

trav_B

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    "IEPROXY.DLL" error. Windows Explorer is un-responsive
    « on: March 09, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
    I'm currently using my roommates laptop because my 4 month old Sony Vaio decided to crash. He recently started having issues with Windows Explorer not working or responding at all. Anything that requires access to explorer is forcing Windows Explorer to stop working. Windows 7 (64 bit)

The problem details are as follows:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:   InPageCoFire
      Error Status Code:   c000009c
      Faulting Media Type:   00000003
      Damaged file name:   ieproxy.dll
      OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
      Locale ID:   1033
      Additional Information 1:   6d72
      Additional Information 2:   6d72e4a3c294d3b8214fc4dae4577c19
      Additional Information 3:   0564
      Additional Information 4:   0564a5a11ebbe9e479c68cfe9cbe1b9f

I've googled a lot of the above information, but I can't seem to find a solid solution. Not being able to access anything other than internet (through Firefox), and CMD prompt is making this very difficult as well. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: "IEPROXY.DLL" error. Windows Explorer is un-responsive
    « Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 12:39:31 AM »
    If Fire Fox is working, you can use it to look at your directories.
    But you can use a PC without having the Explorer working anyway.
    Example; working in MS word, just open Word and open a file. Why do you need the Explorer?

It is somebody ease's PC. Let them fix it.

trav_B

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 01:01:55 AM »
      If Fire Fox is working, you can use it to look at your directories.
      But you can use a PC without having the Explorer working anyway.
      Example; working in MS word, just open Word and open a file. Why do you need the Explorer?

It is somebody ease's PC. Let them fix it.

Maybe it's not Explorer that I need in order to run almost any program on my computer, but say I click on a game app on my desktop, it just gives me the message that Windows Explorer is not responding and then explorer restarts. It's also disabled my audio which apparently needs windows to work. I can right click on the game and Run as Admin and it still gives the Windows Explorer message. If I made my roommate get on here and ask the same question, would you be more willing to help? Seeing how this is his laptop and all... Sheesh. Maybe I came to the wrong place.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 01:39:41 AM »
      Sheesh. Maybe I came to the wrong place.

When asking questions on a forum, where the advice is provided free, by volunteers in their free time, it is best to avoid "sheesh" type remarks, frustrating though the last reply may have been. It's just psychology - many people will read your "sheesh" complaints and not bother to reply to your question. Just a hint for the future. Anyhow, you have got damaged system files on your computer. Maybe you picked up a virus, possibly there is hard drive trouble. Explorer.exe is the "shell" of Windows. It not only puts up the task bar, start menu and file manager that you use to browse disks and start programs, it does a lot of stuff under the hood and without it working properly, as you have seen, Windows does not function correctly. You need to run a system file check. There is a Windows utility called sfc.exe which you should run.

Instructions in many places, for example here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Once that has been done, review your antivirus precautions.

trav_B

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 03:33:19 AM »
        My apologies if my remark was offensive to anyone, but the response was indeed frustrating. Anyhow, thank you for your response. I tried the methods that were mentioned in the link and the Explorer issue is restricting any of that type of activity. However, I did perform the system file check in command prompt and came up with the following single file that could not be fixed:

Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:76{38}]"\??\C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer"\[l:22{11}]"ieproxy.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 03:52:47 AM »
        http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/466740/ieproxydll/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928427

If these don't work, possibly you have a malware infection/browser hijack, and should post in this site's malware forum

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 05:25:20 PM »
        Because it is not your PC, you need to take care not to damage things any further.

I often do favors for friends because they are my friends. But sometimes I fail.

May I recommend a non-intrusive backup plan. Like this:
        using another computer. get a good backup product that can run off of a bookable CD. There are some out there that are free. Next buy, borrow or confiscate an external USB backup drive. A good one. Backup the contents of his laptop.
        If attempts  to remove the virus fail. you can get the restore the original condition from the backup and try again. And gain.
        Personal recommendation is Macrium Reflect
        http://www.macrium.com/   (You can use the free version.)
        Hope this is of some help.   :)