Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sony Vaio Laptop does not like my D-Link DIR-628 router  (Read 6657 times)

Fordtruckmaniac

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Sony Vaio Laptop does not like my D-Link DIR-628 router
« on: February 14, 2013, 02:39:35 PM »
I recently picked up a new to me Sony Vaio VPCEG37-FM laptop. Had constant wireless connectivity issues. It would just stop responding, I would shut off the wireless antenna then re-start, then it would start back up. It runs fine while hard wired to my router with an ethernet cable. Re-installed drivers. No help. So on a whim, I let my daughter take it to her place, she connected it to her wireless router (don't know the brand of router, just what came with her cable TV package). It runs like a champ. She used it for week with no issues at all, HULU, Netflix, internet browsing did not make it blink.

Is there something I am going to have to manually configure in my router to get this to work? This is the only laptop or any device for that matter, phones, Nook, PS3, Vizio TV, etc that has been in my house that does not like my router.

Thanks
 Fordtruckmaniac

truenorth

Guru

Re: Sony Vaio Laptop does not like my D-Link DIR-628 router
    « Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 04:54:13 PM »
    You don't mention your operating system so this link may or may not be applicable.
    http://fielnaml.info/sony-vaio-vpceg37fmw-drivers-for-windows-vista-7/
    By the way you actually have a much bigger problem and that is your taste in trucks ;D
    truenorth

Fordtruckmaniac

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    « Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:51:32 PM »
    Sorry about that. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
     Fordtruckmaniac

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 07:01:14 PM »
      then the link and process might help.truenorth

Fordtruckmaniac

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 10:42:12 PM »
      I couldnt access the wifi driver from the link directly, but pasted the version number to Google, installed the driver, didnt help anything.

My router is a dual band, I didnt actually mention that in my post, just gave the D-Link model number. As mentioned, the wifi connection works fine at my daughters house through her router that came with her cable tv package.

I hate to trash my router.
       Fordtruckmaniac

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 05:53:07 AM »
        To another member on our forum faced with a similar problem and also had tried a multitude of actions and had no success. I have suggested that they borrow a working USB dongle wi=fi dongle unit (along with the software) and use that on the laptop to see if any improvement occurs.You also might want to try that. If it works then obtain one yourself. They usually are not expensive. Most people using a desktop on wireless have that device.truenorth

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 05:44:40 PM »
        Have you tried using the 2.4 ghz band on the router settings instead of 5 ghz?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 12:27:14 PM »
        I couldnt access the wifi driver from the link directly, but pasted the version number to Google, installed the driver, didnt help anything.

My router is a dual band, I didnt actually mention that in my post, just gave the D-Link model number. As mentioned, the wifi connection works fine at my daughters house through her router that came with her cable tv package.

I hate to trash my router.
        Wouldn't be the 1st D-Link router to have crappy firmware.  My DIR-632 would lose WiFi all the time until I reflashed it with DD-WRT.  Unfortunately, the DIR-628 is not compatible with DD-WRT because it's Ubicom IP5100 CPU is not supported.
        http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Known_incompatible_devices

If you decide to replace the router, make sure it's compatible with DD-WRT, just in case.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 01:53:48 PM »
          Don't forget (if you can ) to try my suggestion re an external dongle. I believe your issue is a compatibility issue between your internal wi-fi chip and that particular router. So an alternative software driven send/receiver may not be similarly affected. Probably a lot less expensive than replacing the router (if your ISP even permits it) will be. truenorth

Fordtruckmaniac

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
          « Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 07:19:42 PM »
          I finally got into my router.

It was set on 2.4GHz
          802.11 Mode.....Mixed 802.11n...802.11g...802.11b
          Channel width 20MHz

I don't have access to borrow a USB antenna. But I think that will be my next avenue to travel. Crummy wifi connectivity makes it pretty much worthless. It runs fine wirelessly connected to a router at my daughters. As I said, this is the only device that has not wanted to work with this router, multiple phones are synced to it, PS3, TV, family members laptop's. Its all good but this stupid Sony laptop.

Fordtruckmaniac

Fordtruckmaniac

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
          « Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 02:33:54 AM »
          Sorry for the late follow up, just got pretty down on the laptop, and just looked at it as I walked by, usually followed by some expletives.  :o

Any way I picked up a  TRENDnet RB-TEW-649UB Mini Wireless N Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Up to 300Mbps Wireless Data Rates WPA2 from Newegg, had it set up in minutes. And glad to say it runs fine now. The little antenna is not too intrusive. But going to have to deal with it. In my home anyway. >:(

This should not have been this aggravating. Sony's customer support isn't much to brag about either.

I thank everyone, for all the suggestions here.
           Fordtruckmaniac

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 12:52:29 PM »
          I just got the TRENDnet TEW-648UB WiFi-N adapter for use on desktop & others.  Everything from TrendNet works.
          Yours could be faster with the right router.
          648 is 150Mbps, 649 is 300Mbps
          Windows will show the connection speed to the router, not to the internet.

Fordtruckmaniac

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
          « Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 02:58:36 AM »
          Still running well, first time we have actually got to really use the computer since I buying it.

I have taken 1 stab at upgrading the firmware ( took it from 1-10 to 1-13, newest is 1-25 ) on my D-Link router, there are many updates, does a person load them a little at a time, or jump right to the last one?

thanks
           Fordtruckmaniac

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 04:53:12 PM »
          Latest:  1.25NA