Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows8 forgotten password  (Read 16163 times)

dude1234

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows8 forgotten password
    « on: March 31, 2013, 04:35:26 PM »
    I've been using XP for years but bought my mum a new vaio laptop with windows8. When we started up she had to enter a password that was so complicated she now cannot remember it. Consequently her xmas present is now a useless black plastic rectangle.

What are the options? I've googled a few things and it appears I can buy a $30 app to create a boot CD that will allow me to go through a complicated process. Could be a scam for $30 for all I know.
    The other alternative I considered is to reformat the laptop back to windows XP. There might be a 32/64 bit problem there? Thanks for any useful suggestions. BTW I probably don't want to convert it to Linux.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Windows8 forgotten password
    « Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 09:17:02 AM »
    If the info at the link posted by Allan does not solve the problem, contact Sony and ask whether running of the recovery partition can started without logging in to Windows.  With a Compaq laptop that I bought in July 2007, hitting a key - as I recall, it was F11 - right after hitting the power button would launch the recovery procedure and allow the user to continue running the procedure and thereby restore the system to it's original configuration. 

If this technique is not possible with the Sony VAIO, then ask Sony about getting a recovery disc on DVDs.  They may charge a fee for this but it will be probably quite small in comparison to buying an OS at retail price.  They will need to know the model # and serial # to get the correct disc, meaning the disc with device drivers for the specific model of computer. 

dude1234

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 02:54:38 PM »
      Following up:- I visited Mum yesterday resulting in the following further actions:- The vaio laptop has a button labeled "ASSIST" which is adjacent to the on/off button. Using the assist button puts you into a troubleshooting menu and in that menu you can do a "full reset". The full reset seems to be the same as a reformat. Unfortunately I had to leave before it was completed as it took around 8 hours.

dude1234

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 03:01:13 PM »
        http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/forgot-windows-password

Here's what the link says - and my comments are included:-

What to do if you forget your Windows password

If you've forgotten your Windows password, there are several ways to retrieve or reset it:

If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.
        NO I'M NOT ON A DOMAIN - I JUST BOUGHT A COMPUTER THAT I WANT TO USE.

If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. For more info, go to the Microsoft account sign-in webpage.
        NO I DON'T HAVE A MICROSOFT ACCOUNT - I JUST BOUGHT A COMPUTER THAT I WANT TO USE.

Have someone with an administrator account on the PC sign in and change your password for you. (If you have an administrator account and remember the administrator password, you can do this yourself.)
        NO ONE HAS AN ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT ON THIS COMPUTER - I JUST BOUGHT IT FOR MY MUM.

If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.
        WINDOWS8 MADE US MODIFY HER USUAL PASSWORD SO MANY TIMES IT IS VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR HER TO RECALL IT.
        If you've tried these suggestions and still can't sign in: .
        I CAN'T "TRY" ANY OF THESE SUGGESTIONS AS THEY ARE'NT APPLICABLE.

If you have Windows 8, you'll need to reinstall Windows.
        HOW DO I REINSTALL WINDOWS? IS THAT WHAT THE "FULL RESET" UNDER THE "ASSIST" BUTTON DOES?

If you have Windows RT, you'll need to contact your PC manufacturer.
        I HAVE WINDOWS8 - I ASSUME WINDOWS RT IS SOMETHING DIFFERENT.
        For more info about changing or resetting passwords, see Change your password.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 03:04:18 PM »
        If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.
        WINDOWS8 MADE US MODIFY HER USUAL PASSWORD SO MANY TIMES IT IS VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR HER TO RECALL IT.
        Windows MADE you modify the password? You forgot the password, that's all. It's not Windows fault, it's yours

If you have Windows 8, you'll need to reinstall Windows.
        HOW DO I REINSTALL WINDOWS? IS THAT WHAT THE "FULL RESET" UNDER THE "ASSIST" BUTTON DOES?
        Yes

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 03:19:08 PM »
        Following up:- I visited Mum yesterday resulting in the following further actions:- The vaio laptop has a button labeled "ASSIST" which is adjacent to the on/off button. Using the assist button puts you into a troubleshooting menu and in that menu you can do a "full reset". The full reset seems to be the same as a reformat. Unfortunately I had to leave before it was completed as it took around 8 hours.
        Well, did you allow it to continue when you left?  What happened?  Did it finish?  If so, how long did it take in total?

By the way, 8 hours is an awfully long time.  This may be an indication of other issues. 

I've seen some references which mention hitting F10 during startup to run the recovery partition.  See http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/299699-sony-vaio-laptop-recovery-partition.html.  This may vary by model, so I can't guarantee it will work in your case.  If not, you need to do some research/inquiry. 

And, again, that computer is under warranty, right? 

dude1234

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 09:11:29 PM »

Allan, It would be misleading to lay all responsibility with the user (in this case, my mother). She had a password that she wanted to use. She can remember this password. She still remembers it. However, Windows made her modify the password into something so complicated that she did not remember it. Nor did I!

The initial password was something like this "sf6hy7V"........quite reasonable. Windows was not happy - firstly it told us the password was not long enough, so we made it ""sf6hy7Vxyz". Windows was still not happy - it told us we needed to mix in more capital letters, so we made it "Sf6hy7VxyZ". Windows was still not happy - it told us we needed to include some non standard characters, so we made it "Sf6hy#$%7VxyZ".

So I ask you - is it any wonder we cannot remember it!!!

Put it in perspective Allan, it's just a computer, not access to her bank account.

Telling someone how to make up a password is in my opinion an invasion of a person's civil liberties. If I wish to use "123" as a password, who are you to stop me?

dude1234

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 09:17:55 PM »
            Well, did you allow it to continue when you left?  What happened?  Did it finish?  If so, how long did it take in total?

By the way, 8 hours is an awfully long time.  This may be an indication of other issues. 

I've seen some references which mention hitting F10 during startup to run the recovery partition.  See http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/299699-sony-vaio-laptop-recovery-partition.html.  This may vary by model, so I can't guarantee it will work in your case.  If not, you need to do some research/inquiry. 

And, again, that computer is under warranty, right?

Yes - it finished. I'll probably visit Mum again in 3 months but if possible I'll get my brother to pick it up for me before then and I'll work on it at home. I think in this case the "Assist" button replaces the usual process of entering the bios. I tried a few keys such as DEL, F8, F2, etc but it just booted normally. Warranty is something to consider but not usually my first choice.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 05:42:48 AM »
            No offense intended, but all you have to do is write down the password when you create it. Blaming Windows (or any software) for requiring a strong password is merely shifting the blame. But okay, moving on. Hopefully the problem is now solved.

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 08:51:32 AM »
            Allan, It would be misleading to lay all responsibility with the user (in this case, my mother). She had a password that she wanted to use. She can remember this password. She still remembers it. However, Windows made her modify the password into something so complicated that she did not remember it. Nor did I!

The initial password was something like this "sf6hy7V"........quite reasonable. Windows was not happy - firstly it told us the password was not long enough, so we made it ""sf6hy7Vxyz". Windows was still not happy - it told us we needed to mix in more capital letters, so we made it "Sf6hy7VxyZ". Windows was still not happy - it told us we needed to include some non standard characters, so we made it "Sf6hy#$%7VxyZ".

So I ask you - is it any wonder we cannot remember it!!!

Put it in perspective Allan, it's just a computer, not access to her bank account.

Telling someone how to make up a password is in my opinion an invasion of a person's civil liberties. If I wish to use "123" as a password, who are you to stop me?
            None of this makes any sense whatsoever.  It's simply untrue; Windows DOES NOT force users to use such complex passwords.  It does not require use of "non standard characters".  And, a password such as sf6hy7V is not too short; that password is one character longer than the password I'm using with Windows 8. 

Actually, Windows makes the password process easy when going through the initial setup of Windows on a new computer.  I just went through this twice about 2 months ago.  The user is asked to enter the enter the password and is also asked to create a reminder question.  In my case, I used the name of the first family pet I remember from childhood as my password and the reminder was "name of 1st pet".  It can't get much simpler than that.
            « Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:15:40 AM by soybean »

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 09:05:45 AM »
            I've never seen those type of requests when setting a Windows password either.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 09:15:29 AM »
            I've never seen those type of requests when setting a Windows password either.
            Agree 100% with the above two posts.

dude1234

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 02:58:05 PM »
              Yes, of course, Allan and Patio are correct, none of this actually happened! Mum is using her computer as we speak. Dear old girl, she's doing a spot of cobol programming.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 03:35:35 PM »
              I don't understand your response...
              All i stated is i have never seen that procedure setting a Windows password...period.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "