Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows8 forgotten password  (Read 16161 times)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Windows8 forgotten password
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 03:55:50 PM »
Yes, of course, Allan and Patio are correct, none of this actually happened! Mum is using her computer as we speak. Dear old girl, she's doing a spot of cobol programming.
I sense an arrogant, sarcastic reply here.  I said the password requirements you described in your post are simply not true.  I don't know where you got the notion that Microsoft requires such difficult passwords but it's simply not true. Just think about it!  If Microsoft imposed such difficult passwords for Windows users to sign on to their account at startup, so many users would be frustrated with having to use difficult passwords, with many occurrences of forgotten passwords, that Microsoft would have a huge backlash from users.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 04:11:48 PM »
In my eyes it started out as a Microsoft bash...when the replies weren't what were expected it turned to a personal bash...
That's OK though...i understand that people can get pretty frustrated working with PC's so i'm fine with letting steam off once in awhile.
What's not fine is stating things that just are not true...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 10:32:51 PM »
I don't understand your response...
All i stated is i have never seen that procedure setting a Windows password...period.

The feature to enforce complexity requirements in a password is a Domain Controller Policy. Sicne teh OP states the machine is not on a Domain, it is either an aftermarket password manager (possibly added by the manufacturer) or this is some sort of ill-advised attempt to gain access to a machine that has a password, since a standard installation of any version of Windows will not enforce any password requirements of Windows Account passwords. Trying to claim that "it happened" as evidence that it is true is incoherent with the fact that the feature is not enabled on new installations. It's possible- but highly unlikely- that somewhere down the line the Local Security Policy was changed to require complex passwords, perhaps as part of the OEM setup.

Either way, we couldn't present help to bypass password restrictions even if we wanted to.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 10:37:05 PM »
In my obtuse way of thinking about the attitude i saw i neglected the original gist of the Topic...
Thanks for putting it back to perspective.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "