Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: device connected select program menu on system startup  (Read 7511 times)

Wayne1948

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    device connected select program menu on system startup
    « on: April 02, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »
    I am running Windows 8 Professional and using an Intel CS630-XP Webcam that I made Compatible with XP in Windows 8 as I did previously in Windows 7.

I have been trying 2 different OCR Programs, Abby Fine Reader and Omnipage. Initially every time my Computer started since Installing them it showed 2 Menu Pop Ups ( while the PC is still loading) that show Device Connected for my Intel CS630 Webcam Storage with a Choice to Select a Program to use for it, showing  Abby Fine Reader or Omnipage as the
    Choices. Why I get 2 Menu Screens, I have no idea. I don't wish to use either so I click Cancel on each Menu each time. There is no choice in the Menu to choose None or dismiss them so that they don't come back again on the Next Start up.

In an effort to find out what is triggering the 2 Menus on Start up in order to stop them from occurring, I have checked all My Start Up and Start Menu Folders and have been unable to find any reference to them.

I have checked both the Abby Fine Reader and Omnipage Programs for an Option to stop the Menu's on start up, no luck.

I have run Tuneup Utilities,Taskmanager Start up, Win Patrol, CCleaner Normal Mode and on Start up, Hijack this Normal Mode and on Start up,Process Explorer, I have searched with JV16 for Registry Entries by Name and checked all Logs including my Spyshelter Log. No Luck.

I have checked in Services and Group Policies besides checking out many Start up Programs Websites. I haven't still have been unable to find what is triggering the Select Program Menu for my Intel CS630 Webcam as yet to stop them from starting up with my PC.

I did rename, then delete the icm10blk.sys Image Storage Driver in Windows/System 32/drivers which removed the 2 entries (Abby Fine Reader and Omnipage) that were there to select from but the Menu still comes back, although empty now, each time on start up. I think its a registry entry but which one ? or its built into the .exe or .sys file. I ran Resource Hacker on CS630-XP.exe but it showed nothing relevant.

I have never had a problem with Start ups that I couldn't solve before but this one is giving me fits.

Does anyone know how I can stop those Select Program Menu's from occurring on Start up, or a way that I can add Select none to the Menu's to choose which may stop them ?

I hope someone can figure it out. They have a trigger but where is it, and how do I stop it ?

Wayne

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

Wayne1948

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: device connected select program menu on system startup
      « Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 08:40:31 AM »
      I hid all Microsoft Services in msconfig unchecked the top half of other services rebooted, same thing. I unchecked the bottom half and rebooted , same thing.

It is whatever triggers a menu to select a program for my Intel CS630 webcam that is the problem. After renaming icm10blk.sys the entries to select are gone but I am still getting the context menu popups on startup, Sometimes 1, often 2 of them and occasionally now 3 of them. Now it says no device description at the top of the  menus instead of CS630 Image Storage, so its whatever triggers those "device connected" menus that I need to stop on startup.

Wayne

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 08:50:09 AM »
      Download and run Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml). Since it is likely a startup program as opposed to a service that is calling for the webcam, you'll find this little app much easier to deal with. You'll probably be able to identify the process by name, but if not it's simple enough to disable and re-enable individual or multiple startup items simply by unchecking / checking them.

Wayne1948

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:32:28 AM »
        that program gave me a $INFTool.Tmp not found error. I am running Windows 8. I had to make it compatible with Windows XP Service pack 3 and run as Administrator to make it work. It only showed me my normal startups nothing related to my Intel CS630 Webcam. Did you read what I posted about all the startup programs I have tried already ? I also ran Autoruns program awhile ago.

Here is my Autoruns text relating to Intel below.

Note

I previously did rename, then delete the icm10blk.sys Image Storage Driver in Windows/System 32/drivers which removed the 2 entries (Abby Fine Reader and Omnipage) that were there to select from the startup device connected Menus

I renamed the iaStorV.sys in system32/drivers and am still getting the same thing happening which is why it is not found in the Autoruns text below.

X "iaStorV"   ""   ""   "File not found: D:\Windows\System32\Drivers\iaStorV.sys"   ""
        + "ICM10USB"   "Intel(r) PC Camera CS630 Driver"   "Intel Corporation"   "d:\windows\system32\drivers\icm10usb.sys"   "2001-10-05 7:00 PM"
        + "AVI Maker"   "Intel Digital Video Camera AVI Maker"   "Intel Corporation"   "d:\windows\system32\icm10avi.ax"   "2001-10-05 6:57 PM"

Those are all the entries related to Intel other than the Intel raid driver which should not affect it.

I got rid of the selection entries as you can see by the attachments attached, now I still need to get rid of the menus that startup on start by finding whatever triggers those menus when a device is connected re: my Intel CS630. My experience with computers tells me that as they do not show up In any of the many startup programs I have tried what ever triggers those menus is either hidden from them, built into an exe or sys file or a registry entry.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 09:51:19 AM »
        Why not uninstall both apps ? ?
        They either don't like Win8 or need to be re-installed.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Wayne1948

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 10:04:51 AM »
          I need the apps they aren't the problem. Whatever triggers the menus on start up is what I need to stop ...