Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Failed reformat  (Read 2953 times)

iceeone8

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Failed reformat
    « on: April 12, 2013, 12:06:01 AM »
    so i had originally had vista then went to win7 upgrade package, on doing so i ran into problems with my blu ray drive drivers not being compatible or the drivers posted on HP web site didnt work or would not instal properly. thus upon giving up on that fight i wanted to revert back down to vista until i found a proper solution. i backed up all files i wanted and started the drive format process (via instructions from HP web site as well as the step by step instructions in the program itself) and used the recovery disks from original purchase to put vista back on it and every thing seems to go great and vista appears to be back on it and the computer returned/ reset to original purchased format. but upon trying to start up the computer it gives the message that windows failed to instal properly and that i should reinsert the the first recovery disk. i have done this and followed the instructions as well as try to just start over and no matter what i do it always seems to come out the same way. so at this point it seems to be stuck in a start up loop. i can get into the startup menu as it restarts and get to the recovery functions and i have tried using these functions as well but nothing seems to make a difference. any suggestions?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Failed reformat
    « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 06:17:31 AM »
    Sounds backwards but have you tried inserting disk #2 when prompted ? ?
    I had this issue ...also with an HP awhile back and that solved it.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

iceeone8

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:19:24 PM »
      yeah that was my first guess, that geek squad labled them wrong so i ran them in every order im pretty sure

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 07:19:35 PM »
      2 questions then...
      Did you delete and re-create/format the partition you installed to ? ?
      Have you checked the HDD for errors ? ?

iceeone8

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 08:31:22 PM »
        i checked it before i started and there was no problem but because it wont load all the way i cant really check it now. ive run all the checks i can from the start up menu and they come back fine. as for the partition im pretty sure it erased it and then remade it because it is still there but it has none of the "check points" on it to revert to (i tried that too) also after a good while or when it goes to finish the install and start the initial boot to finalize and set up every thing it over heats and shut off screwing up the instal meaning i would have to start over. i would replace the fan but i have no way to know if its the fan, sensor, or some other issue. ive tried using a cooling fan under it but it doesnt seem to work enough on its own to prevent it. my only thought on that would be to get ice packs but idk...

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 08:36:50 PM »
        Well i didn't read that whole large paragraph with zero punctuation...however it's either a heat or HDD issue...
        Go from there.

iceeone8

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 08:52:31 PM »
          hey there is some in there lol, so you would lean towards that and not so much to bad disks?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 07:18:00 AM »
          The HDD manuf. all have a Free diagnostics...
          DLoad it and follow the info on creating a bootable CD...run the Long test.
          This will rule out the HDD as the culprit if it is OK.