Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Best software for working with PHP website I'm trying to use note++ but looking  (Read 12241 times)

youtubemaker30

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    I have a couple pre made websites, designed with PHP, I wanted to know what is the best software to work with , edit and upload files to server??
    Also another question,  since websites have many files how do I know which files to upload.
      ;) ;) ;)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    How much experience do you have using PHP?
    Not saying it is hard. But trying to edit just a few files it not what you do.
    http://php.about.com/od/phpbasics/p/php_reasons.htm
    You should have a local server and do your testing at home. Then get  use a ftp thing to auto update the site, changing just the files that need to be updated.

Actually,  that is about the way you do it anyway, even with plain HTML.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    I have a couple pre made websites, designed with PHP, I wanted to know what is the best software to work with , edit and upload files to server??
    Also another question,  since websites have many files how do I know which files to upload.
      ;) ;) ;)

Just use a text editor. I personally use Editpad Pro; it's "FTP Panel" features far surpass anything I've seen in other applications. I can treat files on my webhost like local files. Using "Save" will save it on the webhost. Most other applications I've dealt with needed some weird special action to update the remote file.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    Hey BC, that is a good tip. The have a free trail.
    Editpad Pro.
    http://www.editpadpro.com/download.html

TheWaffle

Hopeful
      • Yes
    If you want more power than those you could try aptana studio.
    http://www.aptana.com/

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    If you want more power than those you could try aptana studio.
    http://www.aptana.com/
    Edlin is better than Aptana Studio. Not the least reason being that it was actually written by people with some measure of competence.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    Edlin is better than Aptana Studio. Not the least reason being that it was actually written by people with some measure of competence.
    BC, some here are not old enough to understand that bit of sarcasm.

Edlin is an early version of the MS-DOS edit command. While not as easy as the edit command, edlin allows the user to crudely edit files.
    http://www.computerhope.com/edlin.htm

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    BC, some here are not old enough to understand that bit of sarcasm.
    http://www.computerhope.com/edlin.htm

True enough :P

Allow me to flesh out my reasoning. First, Aptana is based on Eclipse. Now, this in itself is not bad- Eclipse is OK, and is probably the best Free Java IDE (IntelliJ takes the top spot overall IMO, but it's commercial). However, Eclipse has many issues on it's own; for me, I deal with them simply because I don't have IntelliJ, just as I would deal with the issues in SharpDevelop if I didn't have Visual Studio- it's better than the alternative of using a Text Editor.

Now I should flesh that last bit out. How is using Eclipse for Java programming better than using a Text Editor? For me, it's the various coding helpers. Eclipse provides a myriad of functionality for code refactoring, inspections, and debugging. You get autocomplete pop-ups, javadocs appear when you type method names, yo uget parameter info, and so on. These are massive boosts to productivity.

Now what about Aptana Studio? It's used for Web development, and primarily aimed at dealing with PHP and Javascript. There is a distinct difference between PHP/Javascript and Java; for one thing, Java is statically typed, and a lot of information about the application can be determined by simply reading the source files. PHP and Javascript, in contrast, are less inspectable. They are dynamic languages and therefore a lot of the application state doesn't even exist until run-time. an IDE for a dynamic language is usually limited to parameter information and syntax highlighting. Which are useful, but just don't provide the massive boost to productivity available from IDEs for statically-typed languages.  This presents the additional issue that Aptana Studio is based on Eclipse, which itself is aimed towards Statically typed languages; in some ways it's being made to do something cruel and unusual, like forcing a old monitor into a high resolution mode. So Aptana Studio inherits many of Eclipse's fiobles, and adds it's own to the mix, (like the funny prompt I got after installation that complained I should install git... even though I already had it installed.) In the meantime it's attempting to provide functions and capabilities that simply cannot approach the productivity value that they are aiming for, simply because there is only so much you can actually determine from a piece of dynamic language source code before you encounter the halting problem. And when the biggest advantage is syntax highlighting, well- you can get that with many text editors, too.

(FWIW, I found Aptana Studio's functionality more or less a modern equivalent to Visual InterDev, which wasn't particularly impressive either)

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    For me if I'm using an IDE I use Aptana Studio but if I'm using a text editor, I use Sublime Text 2, I LOVE it!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    For me if I'm using an IDE I use Aptana Studio but if I'm using a text editor
    >:( We can't be friends anymore!  :P

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    I like paint by numbers... ::)

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    >:( We can't be friends anymore!  :P

At least I'm not telling everyone to only ever use Emacs - I know a guy like this, can't open any non-Emacs editor in front of him without getting a lecture!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    At least I'm not telling everyone to only ever use Emacs - I know a guy like this, can't open any non-Emacs editor in front of him without getting a lecture!
    eMacs is good if your employer is fine with you spending all your time adding useless crap to your .emacs file, rather than doing your job. eMacs doesn't make you more productive. The problem with emacs is  that, Out of the Box, it's not very productive at all, and you basically have to write Common Lisp extensions to get that power.

While, For example, Linux and Open Source fanboys are arguing about whether VI or Emacs is the better editor, everybody else just rolls their eyes and does their Job.

TheWaffle

Hopeful
      • Yes
    Back to the topic,
    Aptana has FTP support,
    Which n++ doesn't out of the box.

The files that you upload to the server is everything you need for your website to work.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    Back to the topic,
    Aptana has FTP support,
    Which n++ doesn't out of the box.

The files that you upload to the server is everything you need for your website to work.
    What is note++ and what is n++ ?  In both instances, do you mean Notepad++ ?  If so, you should spell it out at least once and be consistent with use of short forms of the name so that there's no doubt about what you're talking about.  If you mean Notepad++, I would not shun it because it does not have a built-in FTP client.  Plenty of freeware FTP clients are available.

jormeno

Rookie

If you have direct access to your Apache server I would just use shell to write the code. It will show you any scripting errors that you may have. But If I don't have shell access I would use Notepad++ and use Filezilla to FTP.
      You won't know unless you try.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      If you have direct access to your Apache server I would just use shell to write the code. It will show you any scripting errors that you may have. But If I don't have shell access I would use Notepad++ and use Filezilla to FTP.

how would Nano show errors in the script? This sounds more like editing a live production environment by the seat of the pants.

jormeno

Rookie

how would Nano show errors in the script? This sounds more like editing a live production environment by the seat of the pants.

sorry I forgot to add that I use VIM.  you can find that package you can use yum -y install VIM. VIM will color code it for you.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        sorry I forgot to add that I use VIM.  you can find that package you can use yum -y install VIM. VIM will color code it for you.

Ahh. well syntax highlighting and "error insight" type features are quite different.

whether you use yum or sudo (or whether either are available) depends on the environment of the server itself.

jormeno

Rookie

Ahh. well syntax highlighting and "error insight" type features are quite different.

whether you use yum or sudo (or whether either are available) depends on the environment of the server itself.

You are so right, I am at work so I was speed typing lol. With VIM it will color code the code you are using but if everything shows up in red in some scripts such as css or php it will display in red. If it is correct it will display in green and white and red you will no when you see once you start coding in VIM. sorry for the confusing.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          Syntastic seems to be what you are referring to (VIM plugin)