Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cant load netflix or photobucket  (Read 4560 times)

misscrosson

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    cant load netflix or photobucket
    « on: May 02, 2013, 06:35:05 PM »
    So ive been having issues for weeks now with trying to load netflix and photobucket ....

first, with netflix it will load the main page ... once i log in, it just loads blue writting on a white screen and nothing works .... however, i was out of town last weekend and was able to access the site no problem?

with photobucket, the website wont even load ... lets me the site does not exist .... err .... tried on chrome and on IE ...

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: cant load netflix or photobucket
    « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 06:43:14 PM »

however, i was out of town last weekend and was able to access the site no problem?

This to me would indicate an issue with your Home Internet, since this same computer worked fine on a different network while out of town.

Who is your ISP, what is your internet speeds upload/download. This information can be acquired at www.speedtest.net

Also how are you connected? Cable connected or Wifi?

misscrosson

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 07:10:59 PM »
      hmm that site wont load either ... and im on wifi

misscrosson

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 08:10:17 PM »
        also these sites wont load on my phone ... and they previously did load on both my phone and computer .... not sure whats up? would perhaps rebooting my modem help?

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 09:22:01 PM »
        You can try rebooting modem & router. Interesting that your able to make it here to computerhope with the troubles you have.

misscrosson

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 06:01:56 PM »
          yup, tried that and nothing? hmm ... i can still go to normal everyday sites that i go to .... just afew websites like netflix and photobucket wont even load

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 08:15:33 PM »
          I'd contact your ISP to see if they see some sort of controls that were edited to your acct. I know that some ISP's allow for content control settings.

The fact that these devices connect to sites fine elsewhere, but act like you are blocked from certain sites at your home internet sounds like content blocking was enabled possibly.

Some routers also have features to filter internet access to certain websites, but you would have to manually go in and set this to act this way. If your router has the default password still set on it and someone hacked into your router, they may have played with these settings to be a pest and annoy you. The good thing is that you can perform a hard reset on routers via a small reset button and set them back to default if you either cant gain access to it or just want to start it over with factory settings. ( * you would want to do this from a computer with a wired connection to the router as for the wifi may default as disabled, and upon the router rebooting if you lose wifi then you wont be able to establish a connection to it again to make further changes without plugging in a Cat5 cable to configure it. )

I have a feeling its either ISP account bound blocking was enabled or someone hacked your router to set it up with lots of blocking.

misscrosson

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »
            from where i live, not possible for someone to hack my router .... hmm but who do i contact for my ISP? also, seems other ppl near me cant access netflix either over the past few weeks (with the same internet company) .... hmm, not sure about photobucket tho?

DaveLembke

Sage
            « Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 08:47:18 PM »
            seems other ppl near me cant access netflix either over the past few weeks (with the same internet company)

Sounds like my friends internet mess with time warner dsl. If other neighbors or friends with the same ISP are also haveing issues, then its the ISP that is the problem.

misscrosson

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 08:19:20 AM »
              If its the ISP, then how do i go about fixing it? do i just contact them? hmm ... its a small internet/cable office which my brother inlaw manages .... so youd figure if anything was up he'd say something ... ill ask him if his netflix has been working

DaveLembke

Sage
              « Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 01:48:07 PM »
              One potential band-aid may be to set your DNS manually to DNS IP's from OpenDNS of:

It might be that the DNS server ths ISP has is lacking the URL to IP translations. And if this is the case then, bypassing the ISP's DNS records and using OpenDNS records for translations may fix this, although the ISP should really fix this!

If you are unsure how to do this, share which version of Windows you are running and one of us can instruct you on how to set it up with a static DNS entry for OpenDNS as a possible fix.