Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 32 & 64 bit Linux Distro on a single iso with install option for 32 or 64 bit?  (Read 9851 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
So I downloaded Linux MINT 15 both 32 and 64 bit ISOs and they are less than 1GB each. Going to place them onto thumb drives to test them out without burning DVD's.

Then it occurred to me that when ISOs were to be squeezed within a 700MB CD-R Disc limitation, it made sense to have 32-bit and 64-bit ISOs seperate.

But ever since CD sized ISOs became a thing of the past for many Linux Distros and both 32 and 64 bit ISOs are generally less than 2.2GB in size... why hasn't anyone combined the installer contents of both 32 and 64 bit ISOs and created single ISO with a pre-installation menu that simply gives you the choice of 32-bit or 64-bit install of the Distro of choice ( or ) 32-bit or 64-bit Live Distro environment selectable upon boot and if no choice is made in 10 seconds it defaults to 32-bit which works with almost all CPUs.

Looking online for info on this I found nothing in relation to making a single Linux ISO with 2 processor type options, but found info on how to join multiple ISOs into one : http://www.ehow.com/how_5118546_burn-multiple-iso-files.html However the menu option preinstallation, or preboot to the linux live environment to me would have to act like GRUB etc.

Maybe they haven't put any effort into creating this this CPU combo ISO distro because lesser and lesser people are using optical drives and more and more are using flash USB sticks to install from.

To me it just doesnt seem as though doing this would be very difficult to have both versions contained within a single ISO file, although I dont think I'd be able to pull off merging the 2 ISOs myself and adding a bootloader with options into it prior to the 32 or 64 bit OS starting install or live environment. You almost need 3 OS on a single ISO, the 1st OS that gives you the grub like menu, and then that hands you off to 32 bit or 64 bit of which the hand off from this initial OS to the next OS might be tricky.

Salmon Trout

You can boot from a menu-selected ISO using Grub4dos, I use this to have several rescue packages on one pen drive (Windows 7 Rescue CD, Slax 6.1.2 live CD, Windows 7 PE). I use Slax if I need to SSH into my NAS (if the VHD that holds a Windows 7 image is locked by Samba, I can unlock it this way).

https://gna.org/projects/grub4dos/

For making a multiboot DVD or CD, there is a better tool (I have heard, I haven't used it yet) called SARDU

http://www.sarducd.it/index.html

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
Thanks Salmon for linking http://www.sarducd.it/index.html. If this works as advertised its the solution I have been looking for. Might even be able to consolidate my Disc binder of about 50 CD's with ISO's on them down to less than 10 DVD's.  ;D

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
Played with Sardu last night, was able to get multiple ISO's to a single DVD with the SARDU menu. Setting this up was not very straight forward. If the interface was designed with a stepped wizard to build the DVD it would be way better. I ended up burning a DVD and booting my laptop off of this DVD which came up with the SARDU menu, from there I had to select Extras and then select the ISO to boot off this list, but it didnt work as intended, it dumps me out at grub without running the ISO for the distro of choice.

Went back and attempted a 2nd burn with a different configuration where I wanted the distros to be part of the first menu that comes preconfigured for some tools like memtest etc, but the software drop down menus had no options to add ISO's to the first menu, it only gave me options to add extra ISOs to the Extras menu option, but none of these ISOs located in that location of this DVD would run and boot and instead just dump me out to grub.

*Maybe I need to run a command from grub to launch the individual ISO, however my only experience with grub was for dual boot systems Linux/Windows and it has only been alterations to the menu and when making a selection from the grub menu it always booted the desired result that was selected. But with SARDU it seems to not be executing the ISO to start, and just dropping me out at the grub prompt. Also I know that the data to the ISOs have been copied to this single DVD because if you look at the surface to see how much was burned most of the disc has been laser etched with the 4.1GB of data that I selected to add to the project and then burn. So its not as if the menu is there to accept input and the iso is missing to recieve the start instruction.

Going to look into https://gna.org/projects/grub4dos/ tonight when I get out of work.