Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Getting "Strike f1 to retry boot" "Error Code 0141 - No Drive Detected"  (Read 16888 times)

screen_name

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hey Dave. What do you think about swapping the SATA cable and ports? Or maybe removing the CMOS battery in case of a bad MB setting? Maybe I'm just being delusional, but I really feel like this hard drive could still be fixed.

I'll definitely check out Western Digital's data recovery service. I checked out some others and the prices seemed pretty insane. I have 99% of the data backed up on an external hard drive, so I might just chalk it up as a loss depending on the price.

I also know DELL is sending a guy to install a new hard drive on Tuesday, so if worst comes to worst it will be resolved in that manner. But I'd like to try and fix it before he gets here, since I believe he will just replace it, rather than fix it.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Try it in an enclosure...or hooked up as a slave in a working PC...those are your 2 choices before you run outta time here...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

screen_name

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hey Patio, I'm going to try the Thermaltake Max 5 Drive tonight.

I also booted Ubuntu from a USB and when I shut down this appeared...

Anyone have any thoughts on this attachment?

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

screen_name

Topic Starter

Rookie

Installed a new hard drive, so the computer is back to normal.

I also put the old hard drive in an external enclosure and it didn't show up on either computer I tried it on. I plugged it into the back USB ports and still got nothing on either one.

So I assume data recovery is the next step?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        ...So I assume data recovery is the next step?

...I'll definitely check out Western Digital's data recovery service. I checked out some others and the prices seemed pretty insane. I have 99% of the data backed up on an external hard drive, so I might just chalk it up as a loss depending on the price...

Lesson Learned?
        Backup all your docs, pics, etc. to CD's, DVD's, flash drives, hard drives or combination, thereof.
        Create image backups of the hard drive, so you can go back to any time when everything was working.