Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard drive from a desktop  (Read 2496 times)

John_Dough

External Hard drive from a desktop
« on: October 13, 2005, 03:40:28 PM »
I have come across a IDE kit with a power supply USB cable to add a additional Drive to my P.C.

It is a Win 98 SE and a driver CD is with it but it is not very specific as to which driver I should use for a external drive , one is for a USB storage drive but although loaded it does not appear as a extra drive on "My Computer"

The Ext drive I am using is from a old Desktop and it powers up so appears to be ok but the Manufacturer does not provide drivers for it.

Any help welcome as I am a complete newbie to PCs.

Tnx
Guyz

GX1_Man

Re: External Hard drive from a desktop
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 03:42:32 PM »
Does this "kit" work and you know this? What USB does it use? Does the manufacturer have a website? Could we have some more info on the mystery kit and hard drive?  ??? ??? ???

John_Dough

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 04:07:25 PM »
Does this "kit" work and you know this? What USB does it use? Does the manufacturer have a website? Could we have some more info on the mystery kit and hard drive?  ??? ??? ???

Does not appear to have a website it came from Hong Kong thru' Ebuy description is as follows:
USB2.0 to IDE cable can be used to connect Harddisk,CD-ROM,DVD-ROM,to P.C. with USB2.0 interface

Items supplied were USB to IDE cable,AC power supply with 4 way connecter for device,Driver cd 8cm,manual.
No driver needed for Win2000/XP.

That's it!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 04:13:15 PM »
What are your choices in Win98 drivers? Do you have USB 2 support on that machine?

John_Dough

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 04:25:08 PM »
Yes it says it does 1.1 and 2.00 the driver supplied is M5621Win98 SE E driver .exe if that makes any sense. ???

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 02:34:21 PM »
Install the drivers without hooking up the external HDD.
Shut down and hook up the drive.
Re-boot.

patio.  8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "