Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: N band Router  (Read 2721 times)

Feenix

Topic Starter

Beginner

N band Router
    « on: June 17, 2013, 10:01:33 AM »
    Hi.

I have 3 computers here, all of which are now using N band adapters to run broadband supplied by a G band router.  While Ive heard that G is meant to be compatible with N, it suffers in the reliability department, so I am thinking of getting an N band router.

There are so many available that I dont really know where to start looking for one - any advice would be welcomed.  :)  I didnt know whether to put this post here or in the network section, so please feel free to move it.

Cheers guys.  :)
    « Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:21:47 AM by Feenix »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: N band Router
    « Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:11:43 AM »
    1.  While Ive heard that G is meant to be compatible with N, it suffers in the reliability department, so I am thinking of getting an N band router.

2.  There are so many available that I dont really know where to start looking for one - any advice would be welcomed.  :)  I didnt know whether to put this post here or in the network section, so please feel free to move it.
    1.  Since N came after G, it's the other way around, i.e. N is compatible with G & with earlier B.
    2.  Agreed, too many choices.  Look for Wifi 300Mbps, higher will be more expensive.  Your adapters may only connect at 150Mbps.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »
    Are you looking for better reliability or more speed?
    Have you read some articles like this?
    http://compnetworking.about.com/u/ua/wireless80211/80211n-upgrades-for-speed-and-reliability.htm
    That post was followed by many comments.

Do have any idea why your network has poor reliability?

Feenix

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 03:45:32 PM »
      I think its just getting throttled because of the g router.  Will have to get an n router at some point.  Reliability has improved since switching back to the netgear DG834g, (was using a D-link 2640R) but the signal quality is still pretty dismal.
      « Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 03:57:34 PM by Feenix »