Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "This is probably not the site you are looking for!"  (Read 5154 times)

networkproblemsthrowaway

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    "This is probably not the site you are looking for!"
    « on: June 23, 2013, 02:08:35 PM »
    Let me start off by saying, I am sorry if this is the incorrect forum.

This issue: http://i.imgur.com/RY0N8Gl.png has been plaguing my family's internet for a while and I'm finally sick of it.

The issue comes out of nowhere randomly. We could go weeks without the issue and it pops up out of nowhere. When it happens, it happens to every device connected to our wi-fi.

When I say every device, I mean every device, from my dad's Tracfone to the family computer to my PS3 to my mom's new Samsung Galaxy S4 (seen here, just now: http://i.imgur.com/GAtjvbk.jpg).

It also happens on every browser, too. Chrome, Firefox, IE, stock browsers, etc.

The problem lasts from a few minutes to a few hours and disappears as soon as it appears.

The strangest thing is that when I try to recreate the issue in the Tor browser by changing my IP address, it doesn't appear.

We have tried contacting our ISP with no luck. I have search all over the internet for the solution to the issue with no definite answer.

Any ideas?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: "This is probably not the site you are looking for!"
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
    Sounds to me like your DNS provider (if you haven't changed it, it'll be your ISP) if it's happening with every device.  Try changing your DNS on one device to something else - Google DNS would be a good start.  I use OpenDNS myself.  This can then be set on your router later on if it solves the issue, but try it on one PC first.

networkproblemsthrowaway

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 04:00:45 PM »
      Thank you, I'll definitely try it out!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 02:20:41 AM »
      Thank you, I'll definitely try it out!

No problem, let us know how it goes :)

networkproblemsthrowaway

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:32:39 AM »
        No problem, let us know how it goes :)

Welp, it's been exactly one month of no problems, and it happened again on the one device I changed the DNS on just this morning. I didn't get a screenshot, but it was trying to redirect twitter.com to some other website I forgot to save. I tried a device that had its original DNS and it also had the same problem. Sorry if this thread is too old now, just thought I would update real quick. I just don't know what to do, this is just ridiculous and frustrating.

EDIT: It's also happening in TOR browser too. It might just be Twitter freaking out.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 09:41:22 AM »
        How utterly bizarre.  Thanks for updating us, but I'll be honest, I have no idea what could now be causing it.
        Hopefully, someone else will have a suggestion.

networkproblemsthrowaway

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 09:46:58 AM »
          How utterly bizarre.  Thanks for updating us, but I'll be honest, I have no idea what could now be causing it.
          Hopefully, someone else will have a suggestion.

For now, I'm going to assume Twitter is somehow freaking out, because it seems like too much of a coincidence for the problem to happen across devices with different DNSs and even different IP addresses. Thanks for all the help. I'll try to keep this updated.