Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Should I Convert Now or Wait until April 2014?  (Read 45554 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Should I Convert Now or Wait until April 2014?
    « on: July 03, 2013, 06:25:07 AM »
    Been reading the mixed reviews for Win 8. I am running XP on a 7 year old PC. Sooner or later I will have to replace my PC and I will have to go with Win 8 or convert to an Apple product. I was thinking about converting now so I can get on with the learning curve but really do not want the hassle.

Is there any reason to convert to Win 8 now? Maybe by the time I need a new PC, MS will have made Win 8 easier to use. Thanks for your feedback.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Should I Convert Now or Wait until April 2014?
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 06:59:05 AM »
    I wouldn't count on Windows 8 changing dramatically in terms of its interface between now and next year.  Windows 8.1 adds a few small tweaks, but the overall "look and feel" remain the same, as expected.

Have you tried Windows 8 yourself yet, or just read reviews and opinions?  I find the best way to make a decision about something like this is to jump in and force yourself to use it.  I did that when I converted from an old school Blackberry to an Android phone, using a touchscreen phone for the first time in my life was a major change for me and in the end the only way I could do it was to put my Blackberry somewhere out of the way to stop myself reaching back for it every time I got frustrated with the touchscreen and forcing myself to use the Android.  After a week or so, I got used to it, and enjoyed it much more than the BB.  I then went through a similar process when I changed from that phone, which had a hardware keyboard, to my current one, which doesn't.  I had to go to the extreme of selling my old phone because I'm still finding this a hard adjustment to make.  Where does this relate to computers?  Sorry!  What I was going to say is I didn't like Windows 7 at all on release, I tried it for a day or two and went back to XP.  I eventually did force myself to use it for a week, and never looked back!

Realistically, you'll have to upgrade one day, and whether we like it or not, Windows 8 is the future of Windows.  If you haven't given it a good trial, do so, if you can, and try to go in open minded.  Windows 7 is still available if you really, really don't get on with Windows 8.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
    What is the significance of April 2014?

Windows 8.1 is scheduled to be released later this year; I don't believe the exact date has been announced yet.  But, you could wait for it.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 07:37:28 AM »
    What is the significance of April 2014?

XP goes end of life April 1st, 2014 - no more security updates.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 08:02:31 AM »
    It'll still run fine...
    Heck there's still tons of Win98 PC's in service...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 08:04:17 AM »
    Sure, it's not like April 1st is a kill switch or anything...but I wouldn't want to run an OS with security holes that are no longer being plugged.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 08:05:15 AM »
    I still have a Win2K PC that runs 24/7...zero issues.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 08:35:10 AM »
    I still have a Win2K PC that runs 24/7...zero issues.

I've never been hit by a bus while crossing the street, but I still look both ways.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »
    I read that Windows 7 support will go on to 2020.
    Now if that is true, one could  have 7 years more to decide to get  Windows 8.
    By then Windows 9 might  be available,
      -but Windows 8 will show up in surplus stores.  :P

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 05:34:28 PM »
    I've never been hit by a bus while crossing the street, but I still look both ways.
    Excellent point...i always look both ways as well...

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 02:52:29 AM »
      Thanks for all of the responses. Think I will stand pat for now.

andrasdeak19

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 04:07:37 AM »
        I was thinking about upgrading but everyone I talked to tells me horror stories about their experience with Windows 8 so I'm definitely holding out for a bit before I upgrade from 7

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 07:03:54 AM »
        Upgrade when you have a reason.   :D
        If somebody has a application for Windows 8 that can ....
          ... solve unemployment;
           ... cure cancer;
          ...  bring world peace.;
        Then go for it!

andrasdeak19

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 09:09:58 AM »
          lol I was thinking when they start supporting Windows 7 less, but those are better reasons :D

SuperTweaker

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 09:07:08 AM »
          Glad I found this site, I see lot's of good stuff here and I have been helping people myself for over 12 years with Windows OSes.  Hello to everyone.

My best advise with XP is to not upgrade the system to either W7 or W8.  The guts of the machine are just going to be lack-luster for newer technology.

I have been recommending to all of my contacts to buy a new W7 64 Bit machine online long before XP is no longer supported by Windows Updates, followed quickly by no support from any anti-virus or anti-malware companies.

I have tried Windows 8 and the upgrade to 8.1 (I have to, I'm in the business).  I do not recommend W8 to anyone who enjoys using a keyboard and mouse.  The only people W8 is going to appeal to are touch-screen, smart-phone and tablet users.  I did several poll searches about W8 and how the world has embraced it.  For all intents and purposes 75% do not like W8 and 25% do.

I did the same type of search for W7 both 64 and 32 Bit.  Everyone who purchased a new W7 64 Bit desktop or laptop "liked" W7 after getting use to a few minor changes from XP.  Plus, W7 can be made to look and behave almost exactly the same as XP. (never buy a low end machine)

My sense of what will happen after W9 is released is this: Microsoft will most likely give the user the opportunity to choose (during setup) whether they want a more traditional desktop display or one for touch-screens.

In the meantime, if you are an XP user and can afford a new W7 PC should buy it online before they are hard to find. Already, many Home Premium versions have been purchased at amazon.com and tigerdirect.com .  AND, if you are a gamer or video editor you want to make sure you have at least 8GB of Memory, a Multiple Core CPU and a very decent onboard video module. IMHO it's always best to upgrade your gaming PC with a  better Power Supply that would match your Standalone Video Card.

Hope that helps and it's good to be a new member here. At age 59, I enjoy learning and sharing with everyone. :)

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]