Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is the Video card compatible with Dell Dimension 2400?  (Read 14579 times)

dreadlyknife

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Re: Is the Video card compatible with Dell Dimension 2400?
    « Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 05:57:54 PM »
    Would the 8400GS work with a 250W PSU?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 07:27:07 PM »
    All I can say is buy one and try it out. If you only have 1 hard drive installed it will probably be fine. But if this computer has a power supply that is weighed down by extras such as lots of USB powered devices and extra Hard Drives spinning etc, it all adds up. If the 250watt is strong and healthy and not weighed down too heavily it should be ok. * But I cant find any info online with any specifics for the 8400GS in the PCI slot type when it comes in PCI, AGP, and PCI Express slot types.

dreadlyknife

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 01:34:15 PM »
      Would this work with DELL DIMENSION 2400? http://www.ebay.com/itm/PNY-NVIDIA-GeForce-8400-GS-512MB-DDR2-Video-Card-/190870437972?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item2c70c3c054&autorefresh=true
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I currently have 1 hard drive, A USB wireless adapter, speakers, mouse, and keyboard. Will you think if I upgrade from a Interrogated 64mb video card reduce the CPU usage in games?

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 02:31:42 PM »
      This card you linked on ebay wont work because it is the newer PCI Express, and you need PCI... 

Here is one for sale new that is an 8400GS that is strictly PCI  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187213

They also have a GeForce 6200 here that is cheaper and not as powerful as the 8400GS GPU but lightyears better than integrated.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130466

I would buy a new video card and not a used one.

* It looks like the seller didnt know what they were doing when they purchased this card. They likely needed PCI and also bought this by accident when its PCI Express, as per this statement on the auction:

PNY NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512MB DDR2 Video Card

Purchased from very reputable Ebay seller, however it does not fit my computer.
      Bid with confidence

Free Shipping.

dreadlyknife

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 03:54:48 PM »
        Oh ok. I do not want to spend too much on this machine and can you find one in ebay because I DO NOT like newegg. It will be a less bottleneck for my cpu right? Right now I am playing Crossfire and get about 100% of cpu usage and if I install that 8400GS video card in it will use less CPU right?

dreadlyknife

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 04:01:47 PM »

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 04:53:48 PM »
          Checked out the link you last posted and saw a piece of helpful info that wasn't at other sites:
          Minimum System Requirements
          •Intel® or AMD® compatible motherboard
          •At least 512MB system RAM
          A minimum 300W system power supply
          •A PCI compliant motherboard
          •50MB of available hard disk space
          •CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
          •Microsoft® Windows® 2000, XP
          •VGA or DVI-I compatible monitor

You might be able to get by with 250watts, but as I said in a prior post I have tested the 8400GS on 300 watts, but I havent tested it on less. You may want to consider a PSU upgrade. And I'd rather buy new than used for both PSU as well as Video Card, there are lots of tired hardware on ebay and its a gamble. I have gotten burned on ebay before by items that were advertised as good working condition and are not, and the seller got your money and runs without ability to get refund or replacement.

A Video Card and a PSU on ebay may cost you close to $50 for both. Far more powerful computers can be purchased around the $80 mark for Core 2 Duo and motherboards that come with PCI Express slots and 300w PSU or better. So I agree with not investing much into this computer. If this case can take a motherboard replacement you could also use a modern motherboard's integrated video which is way better than the 8400GS in most cases.

dreadlyknife

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 11:17:38 PM »
            Alright thanks so much. So if I take my motherboard out of the Dell Dimension 2400 and replace the motherboard with a Dell Dimension 4700 motherboard, would the motherboard actually fix in the case?

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 06:21:12 PM »
            Yes.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "