Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Webpage not available.  (Read 4424 times)

vanwanzeeled

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Webpage not available.
    « on: July 25, 2013, 07:08:21 AM »
    Error= “This webpage not available.” (Similar for Google Chrome and Internet Explorer).
    Google apps and Roblox.com work fine, but other sites produce the error.

The problem started 2013/07/24 around 12:00.  I opened an MSN.com tab (it is set as one of the Home Pages) and may have accidentally clicked the banner ad at the top for Hot Spot Shield.  Immediately, a window popped up with options for the program.  I later found that a desktop icon and start menu item were also added.  Uninstall directed me to a webpage where I had to click to confirm, and it seemed to work.  According to CNET.com, Hot Spot Shield is a highly-recommended (#1) bandwidth encryption/optimization tool.  I emailed them and ComputerHope to see if these errors are a known side effect of uninstalling the program, and for suggested fixes.

I’m using
    Google Chrome
    Internet Explorer v. 10.0.9200.16635
    Windows 7 Professional
    LAN connection (no problems with another computer sharing the router wirelessly)

I’m running Google Chrome suggests the following:
    The connection to www.msn.com was interrupted.
    Check your Internet connection.
    Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.
    Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.
    If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.
    If you use a proxy server...
    Check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server: Go to the Chrome menu > Settings > Show advanced settings... > Change proxy settings...> LAN Settings and deselect "Use a proxy server for your LAN".
    Error code: ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

However,
    I restarted the computer & modem, problem remains.
    I don’t use a firewall.
    I turned off (later turned on) my antivirus (Sophos), problem remains.
    I don’t use a proxy server.

With Sophos disabled, I ran Malwarebytes full scan; after 1hr 40minutes it completed, and no malicious items were detected.
    I also deleted cookies.  When first attempting to visit some sites afterward (e.g. www.msn.com) the sites worked, afterward I got (and still have) the same error.

I am now emailing Hot Spot Shield’s support, and posting on ComputerHope, in final hopes of fixing this problem!

[email protected]
    http://anchorfree.com
    408-744-1002
    [email protected]

AnchorFree Inc.
    450 National Avenue
    Mountain View, CA 94043-2238

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Webpage not available.
    « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 04:18:51 PM »
    Post a link to the troubled site so we can test on this end...it may simply be their server with issues...
    2 Browsers with the same results makes me think that.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "