Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need to eliminate microphone background noise  (Read 2889 times)

cinque8

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    Need to eliminate microphone background noise
    « on: July 30, 2013, 09:14:24 AM »
    Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this, but I will ask anyway. I work in a very noisy call center where we make outbound calls to potential customers from our computers using the VoIP telephone system on computers that are running Windows XP. The problem is that there is so much background vocal noise from the other people who are making calls, that the people that I call can hear it. Our company provides us with the Microsoft 3000 LX headset, and while this is not a bad headset in most situations, it doesn't quite cut it in this call center.

So I went on the Internet and tried to find a better headset and I settled on the Boom C headset  http://www.knowbrainer.com/NewStore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=113#details and the Buddy 7 sound card  http://www.knowbrainer.com/NewStore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=278&idcategory=19#details

While this headset reduces more noise than the 3000 LX there is still quite a bit of noise that can be heard. And I was just wondering if anyone knew of a noise suppressor or noise gate that could eliminate all of the background noise?

Thanks,

-cinque8

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Need to eliminate microphone background noise
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 09:57:54 AM »
    Welcome to CH. This site has volunteers to help outwith any computer problem.
    My personal commercial and non-profit experience may be of some help to you.  In any serious enterprise here sound quality and customer perception are important, any compromise on quality is a bad decision. What they hear represents the company. Is chaotic confusion the image you want to project?
    A decent call center has to have acoustical rooms for each speaker. t is similar to a recording studio. Any cross talk is not acceptable.
    Background rejection  of over 50 db is your target. Sound cancelling microphones can do about 40 db in average conditions. So acoustical treatment of your environmental is mandatory.
    I worked in the broadcast industry for many years.  I have received piratical training both electronics and  and acoustics.  Sound cancelling microphones are helpful, but have a very limited ability to correct environmental problems with sound. I know what I am talking  about.
     It is much more cost effective to put in acoustical panels and forced air ventilation rather than experiment with electronic gadgets that can not deliver. You will not find microphones that can give 60 db of cancellation for under $1200. The $1200 represents a projected cost of making each cubical sound  prof and adding a small air conditioner to each. (Six cubicles.)
    Now if anybody can sow me a 60 db cancelling microphone for under that price, I will eat crow.

cinque8

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Need to eliminate microphone background noise
      « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 10:33:46 AM »
      Hey Geek,

thank you very much for your reply. With the product that we sell, (credit repair for a firm that has an A+ rating with the BBB) it is very important to make it appear that you are having a one on one conversation with the client, and all of that background chatter makes it sound like you are selling something. Which is why I spent over $200 of my own money to try and get a better mike. The people that I bought the mike and sound card from promised the sky, but of course I have contacted their technical support, and now that I have spent my money they are singing a different tune, although they do offer a refund. In any case, if I stay with this company for any length of time, I will pass your info on to them about the acoustics. Thanks for the info! It was very helpful!

-cinque8