Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: internet browser jumps  (Read 5386 times)

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
internet browser jumps
« on: August 06, 2013, 03:58:10 PM »

Hi

Hopefully this will make sense to someone.

When I use my home built desktop with windows xp on the internet I use 3 different browsers , aol 9.1, firefox 22 and internet explorer 8. All are up todate and are usually open at the same time. Resently when looking at 1 browser it will change automaticly to another , it started off being I.E. that it changed to now it's aol.

Does anyone now why / what's going on and how to stop it.

Thanks , Adam

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: internet browser jumps
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 05:49:43 PM »
I run Firefox as well as IE and I get messages when ever I use IE asking to be the default browser and I tell it NO, so that Firefox remains the default. I use IE only for testing HTML, other than that I dont trust it for anything else. I have used Firefox since version 6 and I have had very few problems with it.

Do you get messages popping up asking to make each one the default in which you may be accidentally changing each one to default by clicking on the box to get rid of it, but the option is a designation to make that one the primary browser?

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 03:20:48 PM »

Hi

I did use to ( especially in IE ) but not for a while since I put tick in the box to stop it appearing. One thing I did notice yesterday and that was the box was ticked for - always dial default connection , I've now changed it to never dial but would that cause it to keep changing even if it was already on line ?

It has done it again tonight but it brought IE up on top for a change.

Adam

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 07:29:07 PM »
hmm... only thing I can think of is to either uninstall and reinstall AOL and see what happens or baseline the system by rebuilding it from system recovery set. You have something strange going on and not sure the exact cure for this. I havent used AOL in over 10 years with version 6.0 so not sure about how that comes into play with this issue. I would think that building it back up clean after first backing up your personal data to external drive that this should be cured possibly.

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 01:49:23 PM »

Hi bit of an update

I think I finally found out what was causeing this problem. In interent options / connections I've change the settings from always dial my connection to never dial connection and it seems to have solved it.

Thanks , Adam

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 06:06:09 PM »
Thanks for responding back with the solution that works in case anyone else has this issue and Googles a fix for it, your CH info they may find helpful.