Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firefox 23 Released  (Read 4588 times)

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Firefox 23 Released
« on: August 06, 2013, 04:21:18 PM »
Mozilla Firefox 23.0 released.
 6th August 2013

Check out "What’s New" and "Known Issues" for this version of Firefox:
 http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/23.0/releasenotes/

Download Firefox in your language:
 http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Firefox 23 Released
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »
Thanks for heads up... going to update when i get home from work.

One odd thing that I have noticed with 22 is that if I have the browser open for a while 5 or 6 hours of surfing etc, my system memory shows more and more used over time to around 1.4GB even if browser tabs have been closed etc. If I close FF and re-open it, it goes back to Windows 7 32-bit running on 750MB idle and 850MB of 3GB RAM with browser open clean to home page of google. Not sure if the memory consumption is a leak or a temp cache in RAM that gets dumped when the browser is closed and reopened.

But looking here: https://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html

At the bottom of the list for many versions is "Miscellaneous memory safety hazards" with versions appended to them and it appears that even in FF 23 there are some still outstanding to be labeled as critical.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 06:15:32 PM »
One of the controversial changes to this version is the removal of the option to disable Javascript, which is now enabled by default and provides no option to disable it, without using about:config. I think I wrote a mention of this back when the change was first made public in some early alphas for version 23.

One odd thing that I have noticed with 22 is that if I have the browser open for a while 5 or 6 hours of surfing etc, my system memory shows more and more used over time to around 1.4GB even if browser tabs have been closed etc. If I close FF and re-open it, it goes back to Windows 7 32-bit running on 750MB idle and 850MB of 3GB RAM with browser open clean to home page of google. Not sure if the memory consumption is a leak or a temp cache in RAM that gets dumped when the browser is closed and reopened.
This is not 22-specific and has been a massive issue with Firefox pretty much since it was released. As far as I understand it it actually stems from their use of a conservative Garbage Collector framework in C++. I could go into numerous technical details but the jist of it is that Garbage Collection has been shown to be unreliable in languages like C++- the Garbage Collector has to be conservative because if it was to cleanup a object that was referenced the program would crash, so if in doubt it let's it sit around. having more add-ons seems to cause more problems; and based on about:memory after having a large working set in FF a lot of the "leaks" appear to be in the Javascript interpreter.

At the bottom of the list for many versions is "Miscellaneous memory safety hazards" with versions appended to them and it appears that even in FF 23 there are some still outstanding to be labeled as critical.
That is a list of fixed issues.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 07:02:02 PM »
That is a list of fixed issues.
Thanks for setting me correct on this. I read the title of "Security Advisories for Firefox" and was thinking that they released it and still had issues outstanding. Looking back I now see the...

Fixed in Firefox 23

which missed my eyes initially.. lol

Also thanks for clarification on the memory issue that I just noticed in FF 22 that I guess has been an issue for a while now and I didnt notice it with prior versions because I wasnt looking for it. I just stumbled upon it with Win 7 and resource gadget that shows CPU and Memory use that was built into Win 7. Already know about the risk of still running gadgets. The risk only comes with running dirty ones from what I read.