Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can you turn off the internet connection remotely?  (Read 2369 times)

a1148383

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    can you turn off the internet connection remotely?
    « on: May 22, 2014, 01:07:41 AM »
    I have cable internet and the main cable is attached to my desktop computer in the living room. Our family also has two laptop computers that are connected to the internet service by their internal wi-fi. Is there a way I can turn off or temporarily "pause" the internet connection via one of the laptop computers so that the connection is turned off for the second laptop computer? Would the computers need to be on a network for this? They are not currently network together as I do not know how to do that.

one laptop computer has Windows 7 OS, the other has Linux Mint Cinnamon. the desktop computer is currently non-functional but had Windows XP (the router is still operational none-the-less)
    « Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:41:51 AM by a1148383 »

jackj

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: can you turn off the internet connection remotely?
      « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 12:42:00 AM »
      It depends on your wifi router. Your master control on the internet connection depends on your router. Normally this can be accessed through 192.168.0.1 then it will prompt you for a user and password. I believe you cannot pause the connection but you can prohibit that computer from getting an internet connection. You just have to know the IP address.

On the other hand, once two or more computers connects in a single router, they computers are already in a network and their IP's are assigned based on the router settings. But access to files are other stuffs is just another thing.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 03:39:44 PM »
      Please do not post same request for assistance in multiple places... here is my response from the other that will get locked. http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,144534.0.html

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 03:56:04 PM »