Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Works  (Read 11217 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Windows Works
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 12:00:54 PM »
If the issue is lack of install CD for the programs, there is another possible workaround. Not elegant, but functional. It requires you have a license key for the older OS and a install CD for the older OS.

The is called a "Hack", but it is not contrary to the copyright and EULA. If the old computer is not usable, and if you have a valid product key, Thee is a painful way to port the older OS onto you new computer and make a dual-boot system. You need a spare hard drive to do some testing to see if it will work for you, In fact, two spare hard drives. you  need a backup also.
In general, getting an old hard drive is cheaper than t getting another computer by far.

Remember., I said this is a "Hack" and you are better off if you can find the install CDs for the programs. If you have the license key for a bit of software, it is legal to install it using a CD you borrow from a  member of .you local computer club. The big  issue is if you are the owner of a license key for the software.

Now as for the "Hack". You install the older OS on another parson. Get is to work. Slave the old drive. make a backup of the Old OS from he old drive. Now do a restore from the backup to the new install of the old OS on the new computer. It will fail to boot right. Now repair the thing with the OS CD.
I said it was a "Hack". Wanda go for it.? Don't blame you if you don't like the "Hack". I don't either. In think it is easier to repair the old computer of replica it.

Otherwise, most programs must be install into an OS. Few exceptions. The dual-boot "Hack" is a last resort.

CPeace2

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows Works
    « Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 12:11:25 PM »
    Will there be any compatibility issues?   If so, what can be done?   Thanks for your help!   Off for awhile...