Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win98 Install On A Laptop With Swapout Drives  (Read 4291 times)

intohope

Win98 Install On A Laptop With Swapout Drives
« on: October 18, 2005, 01:56:33 AM »
My friend owns a Dell Latitude D300XT notebook with Win95 on it.  He has never updated his antivirus.  The laptop was so infested that the registry and the OS was beyond help.  He had long lost his recovery disk for it.  He decided to FDISK the hard drive and tried to run a clean 98SE full install.  Well the problem is that this laptop uses swappable drives.  In other words you can’t use the floppy and the CD-Rom at the same time.  When he boots to the 98 Boot Disk he can’t get the CD drive to be recognized or keep the CD driver.  I suggested that he enter the BIOS and select boot to CD first.  No cigar!  Is there a procedure to install Win98 CD to a laptop with interchangeable bay drives?  Can anyone help my friend?  I’m stumped.

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
    Re: Win98 Install On A Laptop With Swapout Drives
    « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 03:05:31 PM »
    If you boot from the floppy it should come up and ask if you want to run with CD-Rom support.

The floppy is only used to boot from the cd. Once that option is reached the floppy should no longer be required anymore.
    When he fdisked the drive did he go through all the necessities. i.e. making the primary dos drive active, format the drive after etc.?

Alternatively go to www.bootdisk.com and make a bootable cd from the 98 floppy! No need for the floppy drive anymore.
    A computer is for life....not just gaming!!