Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dim Screen on laptop cannot make brighter  (Read 3277 times)

longoria77

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Dim Screen on laptop cannot make brighter
    « on: September 26, 2013, 08:59:54 AM »
    my nefew's laptop screen started flickering and would only work if you held it in a certian position, we replaced the screen and invertor now it is very dim. I have tried holding FN and pressing the brightness key which is the > but it will not get any brighter any ideas on what is wrong with it?

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dim Screen on laptop cannot make brighter
    « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 09:32:42 AM »
    If you replaced the screen and inverter only this month, you should again contact the repair shop / service center who replaced it for you. May be the inverter needs to be checked again.

Also, in some laptops, there is a setting in BIOS by which the screen becomes a bit dim when on battery. i.e - NOT charging. When you plug in the charger, the screen brightens.
    If your BIOS allows, check the BIOS if you can set the screen brightness to full or appropriate to what you want.

kyle_engineer

Intermediate
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    « Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 11:27:59 AM »
    There are aslo usually settings for brightness in Windows under "Power Management" I believe. There are also ones in the GPU software suite usually (if you have any GPU software installed). Lastly, it could be a driver issue. If there is actually a driver issue, then it's totally possible that it could cause a communication error between the laptop and its screen. The only other thing I can think of is keyboard drivers. They shouldn't have messed with the kb driver, but if they did that could cause the kb FNs not to work. That happened to me after installing Win 8 pro. No kb shortcuts for a day or so until it found the right driver for me! :D

But it sounds to me like they most likely messed something up. Take 10-15 minutes to check around with the settings and see if you can't find anything wrong. If you don't - then take it back yelling (and don't let them charge you extra for a second look ;D ).
    "Any answer is only as good as it satisfies the question." - Me

0000000100101011000 -
    010010010010000001001100010011110100110 001000000010110010100111101010101

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 01:32:02 PM »
    But it sounds to me like they most likely messed something up. Take 10-15 minutes to check around with the settings and see if you can't find anything wrong. If you don't - then take it back yelling (and don't let them charge you extra for a second look ;D ).

Couldn't agree more...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
    « Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 12:59:28 AM »
    Lastly, it could be a driver issue. If there is actually a driver issue, then it's totally possible that it could cause a communication error between the laptop and its screen. The only other thing I can think of is keyboard drivers. They shouldn't have messed with the kb driver, but if they did that could cause the kb FNs not to work.

But if one goes to a repair shop for changing the screen and inverter, why would they mess up the software part? They will obviously check if everything is working fine and then hand over the laptop to the customer. Best way is to get the parts checked again which were replaced. And if they unscrew the laptop, the shop which replaced it might refuse to take any responsibility.

Couldn't agree more...

+1

kyle_engineer

Intermediate
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    « Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 05:44:21 PM »
    But if one goes to a repair shop for changing the screen and inverter, why would they mess up the software part? They will obviously check if everything is working fine and then hand over the laptop to the customer.

Yeah, it's crazy unlikely that anything driver related would have been messed with - however, that is assuming they didn't go poking around with the drivers before deciding that it was in fact in need of a new screen. Personally if I had a laptop with a screen problem liek this (aside from the special position fact), I would for sure check drivers first as they are free and easy. I would only go to replacing the screen as a last step. Obviously the "special position" is a dead wiring give away, but the tech will have to do his own investigation regardless of what the customer reports - afterall, the customer may not know what they are talking about.

Additionally, they obviously didn't do a good quality check as there are already new issues.

But anyway, just take it to the same shop, and ask for a better tech if needed! Lol!!!
    "Any answer is only as good as it satisfies the question." - Me

0000000100101011000 -
    010010010010000001001100010011110100110 001000000010110010100111101010101