Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Made new account and lost account with everything  (Read 13262 times)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Made new account and lost account with everything
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 02:54:28 AM »
The other account is whatever account you created, that you were logging on to when you said that everything was gone.
The simplest way to copy your files over would be to log in to the Administrator account and create a new folder in the root of your C: drive, call it admindocs or something.  Copy the "My Documents" "My Music" and any other folders you may want into that new folder.  Log in to your new account, and copy the files from the folders in the admindocs folder you made, into this account's "My Documents" and so forth.

darcomputer

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 03:35:42 PM »
    Why can't i just go back to my original account, why all this fuss?????  Why won't Administrator account (my original) be available when choosing an account, why press ctrl, alt and then delete twice then type in administrator to get to it???????? ty

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »
    Why can't i just go back to my original account, why all this fuss?????  Why won't Administrator account (my original) be available when choosing an account, why press ctrl, alt and then delete twice then type in administrator to get to it???????? ty

This is in the MS knowledge base. When you loose a user account, there are few things you can do. Other than  recovery nor restore, you create a new user account and put the data there. Is that not what others told you?
    The ctrl alt delete gets  you into the hidden administrator account. That is where you can do things related to other users. A user can not create himself.
    Does that answer the question?

darcomputer

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 05:10:41 PM »
      i've been using 'Administrator account for ever' a few weeks ago i thought i would make another account, namely 'Dar' so now i'm not using the 'administrator account'  and i had no idea that my 'Administrator account' would disappear somewhere after i made the 'Dar account.  now when i want to log in i have my two options = ' Dar and Guest accounts'  Why isn't 'Administrator account' an option right under/over the other two accounts. ty

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 05:41:41 PM »
      I just told you, didn't I?
      The native administratorr is norm ally hidden. Thaw is part of the Great Microsoft  Plan. In a special case, the administrator will be available.  Two special cases are:
      • The user booted into safe mode.
      • All other administrator account(s) are damaged or missing.
      What do you want? You want Administrator to also be visible? Yes, you can do that. It is done with smoke and mirrors. But you will have a system that dis different from everybody else.
      Bean There;  Done Did That.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 03:28:42 AM »
      i've been using 'Administrator account for ever' a few weeks ago i thought i would make another account, namely 'Dar' so now i'm not using the 'administrator account'  and i had no idea that my 'Administrator account' would disappear somewhere after i made the 'Dar account.  now when i want to log in i have my two options = ' Dar and Guest accounts'  Why isn't 'Administrator account' an option right under/over the other two accounts. ty

As Geek-9pm has explained, and as said earlier in the thread - the Administrator account is supposed to be hidden when any other account is present.  It was never intended to be the account you normally use the PC with, it's there as a kind of last resort - if something happens to your other account, the hidden Administrator account will in theory remain there, untouched, until you need it, to log in and repair the machine.
      If you really, really want to go back to how it was, just delete the account you created, and carry on logging into the Administrator account, not as intended but it will work as you've seen.

darcomputer

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »
        okay, if i delete the Dar account i've created and caused all this trouble for me, admin account wil reappear as before, this would be my original question/desire     Next question:  I need to copy some files from Admin account to Dar account and leave admin account for repair/troubleshooting my computer, and ty for a great answer :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 11:26:59 PM »
        Administratorr is the name of the account. Others users can be administrators. And they can be demoted.
        No need to delete anything.
        Any kind of user documents can an be moved to the sheared directory in Windows XP.
        User accounts take very little disk space. Unless the have a lot of pictures, music and stuff like that.
        You can disable any user, except the native administrator.
        The users can share the same documents folder, if you want.
        Suggested reading:
        http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-security/understanding-user-accounts-in-windows-xp/3a960d57-2aa5-448c-8867-3a96157704cf

darcomputer

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 07:27:33 PM »
          I have Dar and Administrator accounts.  I think i'm going to transfer some stuff to Dar, use Dar and keep Administrator as mentioned above for REPAIR :)   i'll let you know how the 'copy' from Admin folder to Dar folder goes.  thx everyone

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 08:33:53 PM »
          General reference from Microsoft.
          Videos of MS how to copy to a new user account
          The above applies to a number of scenarios.
          These are for current versions of Windows. In Windows XP it is about the same, but the screens look different.

BTW:
          Notice the video about the new MS account feature of Windows 8  8)

darcomputer

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 07:20:07 PM »
            i have listened to a few videos, what i found out was going to start/contro panel/user accounts and there are all three accounts, ADMINISTRATOR = Computer Administrator  and DAR = Computer Administrator and Guest Account = guest account is turned off ( i just turned it off hope that is no problem )  issue:  they are both Administrator accounts, should i make the new account DAR administrator account or leave Administrator account as is.  This is too confusing....

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 08:11:52 PM »
            I think we shroud close this thread soon.
            In windows the word administrator can have two or more meanings.
            1. The name used to identify an person who has oversight of the workplace.
            2. The level of authority an individual may have over the computer settings.

A Windows PC has an account named 'administrator' and it is for use by the workplace overseer. Normally this account is used only in special cases.

A Windows PC can have any reasonable number of user accounts. The can all have the authority administrator. Only the guest many not be administrator.

Users can belong to a group that has lessor authority as  administrator.

Changing the name of the administrator account is not a good practice. Instead, use a secret password to prevent others from using that account.

darcomputer

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 09:03:57 AM »
              shall i just switch over from Dar account to Admin account as needed?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #28 on: November 08, 2013, 10:13:35 AM »
              (sigh)

darcomputer

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2013, 01:02:09 PM »
                okay one more:  why do both accounts, my original one and the new one Dar say administrator under their names,  i made Dar so i wouldn't be running as Admin.