Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trojan.Vundo.B warning won't go away  (Read 7985 times)

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Trojan.Vundo.B warning won't go away
    « on: October 19, 2005, 10:29:26 PM »
    Hey everyone.  I've got a virus warning that just won't go away!  Norton alerts me to the virus over and over even though the removal tool I used says it didn't find it on my computer.  What gives  ???
    Here's how it appears on the warning window:
    Virus Name     Trojan.Vundo.B
    Action Taken   Unable to Repair this fle
    Action Taken    Access to the file denied

How can I get rid of the warning window?
    Thanks for your help.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Trojan.Vundo.B warning won't go away
      « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 12:07:13 AM »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 12:09:45 AM »
        MarleneD.......Did you shutdown your system restore and then run the removal tool in the safe mode ?

dl65  ::)
        If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 08:26:35 AM »
          I actually tried to run it in safe mode but, when I was in safe mode I just had a black screen and didn't know how to get to the repair tool which I had orignially downloaded onto my desktop.  Then, I didn't know how to get out of safemode.  I ended up finding the system restore window and ran that going back a few days which brought me back to the regular window.
          So, I guess what I need to know is how to get back out of safe mode ???
          Do you all think I still have this virus on my computer?
          By the way, I did shut off system restore to run the tool but I was not in safe mode.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 12:40:45 PM »
            MarleneD....If you had saved the removal tool to your desktop...it should have been there when you were in safe mode....you were able to see your desktop in safe mode weren't you ? To get out of safe mode.......simply reboot and you should go back to normal mode ....

« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 12:41:10 PM by dl65 »

Fed

• Sage
              « Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 02:26:04 PM »
              Safe mode can sometimes take a long time to fully load, I don't know why this is because it should load faster than normal mode.
              Anyway, did you give it long enough to load the icons & taskbar?

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                « Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 02:36:13 PM »
                Maybe I didn't give it enough time to load the desktop.  I will try again but I'm just a little afraid  :-/  When you say reboot, is that the same as restart?  When I restarted the computer it came back into safe mode  ???

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 02:42:51 PM »
                  MarleneD...... reboot is the same as restart......
                  What O/S are you using ?
                  What happens if you repeatedly tap F8 as its restarting ...arent you given the option of selecting how you wish it to start ?
                  When in safe mode you should have the word safe displayed in each of the 4 corners ......and there will be no background shown .....the resolution will be differant . All of your normal desktop items will be shown.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 02:47:53 PM by dl65 »

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                    « Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 06:08:19 PM »
                    I have Windows XP.  Will try again now and report back what happens.  Wish me luck.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 07:22:07 PM »
                    Good luck....we're all counting on you.

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                      « Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 09:32:44 PM »
                      O.k. gang,
                      So, I got into safemode by pressing F8.  Black screen came up with no desktop.  Brought up Task Manager (Ctl, Alt, Del) then navigated to my desk top (File, New Task, Browse button) and started the removal tool.  After removal tool ran it reported that no trojan.Vundo.B had been detected.  Then, I ran a full scan (Norton) in safemode, since I was already in that mode; again, through Task Manager.  The scan revealed one virus - yes, that's right folks that Vundo.B bug!  I deleted it, restarted and went back to normal mode but,  I still got the same  red flag virus alert message.  
                      The Symantec website suggests that when persistent messages appear it could be that Windows may be using the file.  Symantec also reccomended that if after using the scan in safemode and messages still appeared then the next step is to delete the value from the registry.  Well, I still get the virus alert message so I guess that's my next step :-/  
                      It gave some specific subkeys to delete:
                      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWATE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\[Trojan file name]

HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{44240BB5-BD7D-4D49-A1AA-8AB0F3D3CB44}

HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\urrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Je;[er Pbkects\{_44240BB5-BD7D-4D49-A1AA-8AB0F3D3CB44}

"Is it safe?" to delete?

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 09:34:39 PM »
                      Nothing to lose. Just backup your data in case of catastrophe.

I guess that is something to lose, though, isn't it?

Fed

• Sage
                        « Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 10:09:00 PM »
                        Once it's fixed Marlene I'd be interested to know what real time protection you're using & if it's uptodate?
                        I thought you got your protection sorted out last time.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 12:32:02 AM »
                          MarleneD.....I would be inclined to check the following before making the registry alterations......

1 make sure system restore is turned off .
                          2 go to control panel ....folder options and click view ......then make sure .......Show hidden files and folders is marked. Now click apply and ok.
                          3 Run a scan with your anti virus (make sure its up to date)
                          If its still there .......click start /Run .......in the run box type regedit and enter. when the registry editor opens ...click Edit , then Find .......in the "find what" box type Vundo   then click Find next............let it search and it will take you directly that entry ......hilite it and right click and select delete .......now go back to the find what box .....and Vundo will still be entered ........so click find next again it will search until it either finds another entry or you will see the message ......finished searching through the registry. At this point go out reboot and see if things are ok.

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                            « Reply #14 on: October 22, 2005, 12:26:51 PM »
                            Well, I finally got the alert window to disappear from everyone's log on except for mine (we each have our own log on windows in Windows XP).  I'm very perplexed as to why it keeps popping up after I've run the removal tool , making sure I follow all instructions i.e. turn off system restore, run removal tool in safemode then scan in safemode etc.  Then the result of the removal tool is always "trojan.vundo.b not found on computer".  The result of the scan reveals 1 virus found (vundo) , I remove it and it always says that it was succesfully removed yet I still get that alert window!
                            BTW, it's curious to me that I still get a black screen in safemode with no desktop at all; only the word safemode on each corner and a sentence in the middle top screen (can't remember what it says).  I click all around the screen and nothing happens.  The only way to navigate to folders and files is through Task Manager which I just happen to try by Ctl-Alt-Del.
                            Running through the registry I found one key that said trojan.vundo.b and deleted it.  The rest were anti-virus removal tool keys and still others did not say vundo at all even though the search was specific to vundo.
                            I have Norton Anti virus which came with my new computer (bought in May of 2005).  I have a Dell 4700 Dimension.  
                            Any other suggestions to remove this pesty alert window?