Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Display stuck in power save mode  (Read 4529 times)

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Display stuck in power save mode
« on: December 01, 2013, 01:54:48 PM »
My wife's Dell Desktop went into power save mode and won't recover. Black screen at all times (before and after entering Windows desktop). I've tried a different display and dvi cable - same result. I switched from DVI to Analog and it works fine. Do we agree it's almost certainly the display adapter? Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 02:32:28 PM by Allan »

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
Re: Display stuck in power save mode
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 03:44:29 PM »
Also, I haven't replaced a display adapter in YEARS. I'd love a recommendation for a replacement for the above card (Nvidia 7300LE). The system is a Dell Dimension DM061 (I think that translates to an E520) with a 300W power supply. Again, this is for my wife and we don't need a "high powered"? card. She has DirectX 11 on the system so I guess it would be nice if the card supports that. Thanks again.

WhiteyB

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 04:01:44 PM »
Hello Allan, yes most certainly it is the display adapter.. try and reseat the video card and give it another go if you have not already done that..
90% of the time, it's the user NOT the computer.

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 04:04:38 PM »
I have, but thanks.

WhiteyB

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 04:06:55 PM »
What I mean my reseat is. not in a frantic panic, but look at the surroundings in the slot and to make sure any dust or dirt is clear of the slot, fan "or" fans are all clear of dust.. if you are able to take the heat sink off the video card and are able to reapply thermal compound is a bonus... take it one step at a time all is not lost.

WhiteyB

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 04:09:40 PM »
alright than reflow the thing....

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 04:19:11 PM »
The card is seated fine - the analog connection works. Let's move on, thank you.

WhiteyB

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 04:32:20 PM »
Move on to what? you started the post out with "stuck in power save mode" and my wife's video card has not been changed in years? tried another cable but works half *censored* I assume but now you need someone here to tell you what is a good choice to buy? please do tell me what else it is you need?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 05:49:24 PM »
I switched from DVI to Analog and it works fine.
Yes., got my attention also. It c an not be 'stuck' in one mode. It is not working in the digital mode.  Sounds more like a bad cable.  :)

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 06:01:55 PM »
Sounds like the card to me as well, do you get the same issue with the card in a different PC or tested the monitor's DVI connection on something else (this could also be the fault albeit very unlikely)

That said, the 7300 LE is an extremely weak card by modern standards so any card on the market today should be more powerful, something like a GeForce 610 or even a 210 would be a good replacement and will run fine on that PSU.  Of course you may want to take this opportunity to upgrade to a good graphics card and PSU if your wife does want the ability to run games in the future.

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 05:34:59 AM »
Sounds like the card to me as well, do you get the same issue with the card in a different PC or tested the monitor's DVI connection on something else (this could also be the fault albeit very unlikely)

That said, the 7300 LE is an extremely weak card by modern standards so any card on the market today should be more powerful, something like a GeForce 610 or even a 210 would be a good replacement and will run fine on that PSU.  Of course you may want to take this opportunity to upgrade to a good graphics card and PSU if your wife does want the ability to run games in the future.

Thanks - confirmed my thoughts and I appreciate the recommendation(s).

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 10:18:38 AM »
camerongray - just a quick follow up to say I went with your suggestion for the GF 610. Installed it this morning and it's more than adequate for my wife's purposes. Thanks again.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 08:45:01 PM »
camerongray - just a quick follow up to say I went with your suggestion for the GF 610. Installed it this morning and it's more than adequate for my wife's purposes. Thanks again.

No problem!  :)