Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Boot problems after defrag  (Read 3276 times)

gamble93

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Boot problems after defrag
    « on: December 14, 2013, 01:52:02 PM »
    I set my computer to defrag overnight. When I woke up I found my laptop had restarted itself during the defrag process and now will not boot into windows properly.

I can enter safe mode, as I am now. It will boot windows but does not bring up the login screen. It just turns black after it shows the windows logo.

Is there anything I may be able to do from safe mode other than a windows 7 boot disk, which I currently do not have?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Boot problems after defrag
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 09:11:44 AM »
    Was it running on battery power ? ?...sounds like chkdsk didn't complete.
    Boot to safemode...select Advanced Boot Menu/Command prompt...type in chkdsk /r and hit Enter.
    Do NOT interrupt it

Actually i just noticed you stated defrag...it shouldn't need to re-boot after that.
    Let us know.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 02:40:20 PM »
    Hi

Don't run chkdsk /r unless you don't care about your data or you have a complete backup.

If you don't have a complete backup now is a good time to do that first.

Then run the chkdsk as Patio suggested, as it could make the drive worse it also could fix it but you won't know until you run it. Hence the suggestion of the backup.

if chkdsk doesn't fix it a windows system restore may and that is reversible.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    « Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:30:42 PM »

I can enter safe mode, as I am now. It will boot windows but does not bring up the login screen. It just turns black after it shows the windows logo.

You may want to use a bootable linux disc to mount your drive and recover your important data since your not able to log into windows. I would presume that you've run defrag as things got slow on read/write access but it is not necessary for Windows 7 has set a schedule defrag operation that runs in the background already.