Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Accessing files via \\computername\C$ in windows 8.1  (Read 11691 times)

Diatech

Topic Starter

Rookie

• who, me?
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Accessing files via \\computername\C$ in windows 8.1
« on: December 16, 2013, 04:05:36 AM »
Good evening computerhope,

At my old job, I had network admin rights. I could access any PC on the domain via \\computername\c$. I would like to set this up at home as well so that I can similarly access any of the PCs files directly without needing to RDP in.

I do not want to setup a domain, however. Normally, I would imagine that the C drive would be shared and full permissions would be granted to the local admin account, (please let me know on this one) or, if you want to get fancy, a local account on another windows machine.

Here's the problem :
I have just spent all day upgrading my gaming machine, 2 Intel NUCs used as DVRs, and a Shuttle I use as a HTPC/Storage PC to windows 8.1. Win8.1 forces you to use a non-local microsoft account.

Now I'm stumped. What do I use when authenticating? When I try to access via \\computername\C$ - I get prompted for credentials.
-The normal microsoft account does not work ([email protected]).
-computername\name@account does not work either (the difference here being specifying the computer I am trying to access as the domain, instead of the default of the computer I am attempting to access from).

I gave full permissions on the C drive to the Authenticated Users group in the sharing and security tab.

I'm not sure if the microsoft account is an auth'ed user or not, but  it is the only admin account on the PC (actually, the only account on the PC that I created); or, if I somehow need to specify "microsoft account" as the domain.. which I do not know how to do or if iis even possible to do.

Any insight on this is appreciated!
Thanks you,
Diatech

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Accessing files via \\computername\C$ in windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 05:44:11 AM »
I deleted the duplicate post. Please do not post the same question more than once. Thank you.

Diatech

Topic Starter

Rookie

• who, me?
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 05:45:58 AM »
Sorry, wasn't sure where would be the more appropriate forum. Won't happen again :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 12:38:26 PM »
Administrative Shares are disabled on Windows 8. If you want to forcibly re-enable them, you will need to create a new Registry key in "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", named "LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy". If on 64-bit Windows make it a QWORD; if on 32-bit, make it a DWORD.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.