Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what are the Diffetences between all the Editions Of the C programming language?  (Read 20522 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
NoBody Asked you anything.

Thank you All.

Weird, I count three question marks in your original post, posted on a public forum. You got some answers, then you refuted them and offered them with a side of some uninformed opinions based on very little actual understanding of what you are talking about. And I pointed out that it was uninformed and also self-refuting.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Experience: Expert
i infact, wanna create a Mobile-OS, using C language and the Assembly language of the
processor I would work with.
For example the ARM assembly language or Qualcomm's.
You know, choosing a phone, burning the current OS, working with processor and so On.
If i finally could create a mobile OS with my team, i will ask companies like Samsung if they would
Use my OS in there phones. And it will be an open-source , so every companies can use it if they want.
And a great Food for the companies like Qualcomm or ARM.
i haven't yet taken a look at their Architectures, but Intel. Intel ASM syntax looks great.
But Intel has about 0% Market share in smartphones. (Although just for now. Who knows what would happen later?.)
And my dear friend, i won't write all the codes just by my own. will make a team, later.

You really need a more realistic goal.  I have seen OSs made by individuals/small groups but they are very simple and really just proofs of concepts and have taken huge amounts of time to develop by really experienced and well educated computer scientists (For example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MikeOS).  Then you think a company like Samsung would use it? Really?

I'm not sure if you are "trolling" or you really believe this but if it's the latter, it won't happen.  I see people very regularly wanting to build an operating system - It's always the newer programmers who haven't yet figured out how massive a task like that would be.  There is a MASSIVE difference between writing a small program in Assembly or C (Which I can easily do) and writing a large system that has to be reliable - You will soon get in a massive tangle of unreadable, impossible to debug code.

Even Android is built on Linux, not built from scratch - You do realise this and how long it still took to get to what it is today with huge teams of people as well as the open source community?  Similar deal with iOS which is built with Apple's Darwin kernel which is derived from BSD.
And FYI, Samsung did try their own OS years ago, 'Bada', and look how well that took off... They are also currently working on a new platform for some of their devices 'Tizen' - However, like Android this is based on the Linux kernel - Do you not wonder why all these companies are building stuff based on tried and tested technology?  Or are all their developers "stupid" as well?

You really need to set more realistic goals, forget trying to write an operating system (It will never happen except for, maybe a very basic proof-of-concept 10 years down the line).  Think of more realistic goals - Make something that hasn't been done before or build upon something that has rather than trying to completely reinvent the wheel. There is a large market for new and innovative mobile apps, web apps and desktop software - There is no market for a completely new operating system (mobile or desktop).

briandams

Beginner

• Experience: Guru
    maybe not an ENTIRE system, but pick a part of an OS component and concentrate on it. Start small. I don't see the need to discourage him IF he really wants to do it. If you search around, there are many types of OS systems around some created from hobby projects. Who knows he might be creating one himself in the future?

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
    maybe not an ENTIRE system, but pick a part of an OS component and concentrate on it. Start small. I don't see the need to discourage him IF he really wants to do it. If you search around, there are many types of OS systems around some created from hobby projects. Who knows he might be creating one himself in the future?

I agree that a research type OS can be a cool project for someone who knows the work involved, what to expect in the end and is able to do it.  But the original goal here doesn't appear to be one of them, he wants to create a "Mobile OS" for companies like Samsung to use in their phones - This is a ridiculously huge goal that is completely unrealistic.

This seems like a typical idea from someone new to programming - Knows the basics of programming in a language and thinks they can write an OS not realising the work involved and how complicated it can be.  I see this all the time, loads of people start learning to program and ask "How long until I can make an OS?"  There is a reason why there are only a few major OSs out there.

Working on regular software, such as a mobile app, web app or desktop application would be a much better use of time and effort instead of learning stuff like C and assembly programming only to realise that the end goal of an OS is out of scope and that you could have spent your time much better learning other, more useful technologies.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    Yes, I am a old man now and can not learn things in a day or two like I used to. I am still learning about my iPhone. :-[
    Have fun doing a mobile OS. Hope you find the people you need to help you.
    Check this out:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open-source_mobile_phones
    Android-based devices do not appear on this list because of the heavy use of proprietary components, particularly drivers and applications.[1][2][3]

WebOS was initially available only under a proprietary license but the source code was later released under a free license by HP. Still, Open WebOS will not run on all WebOS devices.

All mobile phones have proprietary baseband (GSM module) firmware.[4]
    Also:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM

briandams

Beginner

I agree that a research type OS can be a cool project for someone who knows the work involved, what to expect in the end and is able to do it.
      everybody starts from somewhere.

Quote from: camerongray
      But the original goal here doesn't appear to be one of them, he wants to create a "Mobile OS" for companies like Samsung to use in their phones - This is a ridiculously huge goal that is completely unrealistic.
      we are not here to judge. Maybe its a huge goal. but at least its a goal.

Working on regular software, such as a mobile app, web app or desktop application would be a much better use of time and effort instead of learning stuff like C and assembly programming only to realise that the end goal of an OS is out of scope and that you could have spent your time much better learning other, more useful technologies.
      who gives you the idea that learning C is a waste of time, for his case?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      Unless you are into low-level programming, C and Assembler are not needed.

This is an old argument. For every person doing low-level programs there can be seven others building on top of the the work of the one. An there are seven more for each of the seven, each doing  doing horizontal development.  It is like a pyramid. Visualize it as an inverted pyramid. The low-level code is underground.

There are currently more than 98,000 SQL jobs indexed by Indeed.com.

briandams

Beginner

Unless you are into low-level programming, C and Assembler are not needed.
        wrong. who gives you the idea that only doing low-level should we be using C?  C can be use a starting language if TS is beginner to programming.  Further, TS already mentions his goal, so C is definitely in the bracket.

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
        wrong. who gives you the idea that only doing low-level should we be using C?  C can be use a starting language if TS is beginner to programming.  Further, TS already mentions his goal, so C is definitely in the bracket.

There are 2 camps for teaching C as a first language - The first argues that it's good becuase it's a very simple language that's pretty easy to get started working in.  I however am in the other camp which believes that C is very basic and doesn't contain a lot of constructs and concepts that more modern languages contain such as good object orientation and several data structures.  To me it makes a lot more sense to teach people concepts such as object orientation from the very start rather than trying to add it on later.

Yes, C can be used outside of low-level stuff but nowadays it is very rare to see this done.  For a hobbyist building small apps, there are many much more advanced languages out there.  Look at job listings, C is very low compared to other languages: http://jobstractor.com/monthly-stats.
        I didn't say it was a waste of time but I am saying that the time could have been better spent learning a more commonly used (Nowdays) language.  "His case" is the original goal of writing an operating system which as has been stated before is a nearly impossible goal.  A good programmer should be able to learn other languages very easily so to me it makes much more sense to learn something useful, use it to build smaller apps and down the line if the OP still wants to build an OS (By then they will have probably realised the issues with doing it) they can then learn the languages needed.

briandams

Beginner

There are 2 camps for teaching C as a first language - The first argues that it's good becuase it's a very simple language that's pretty easy to get started working in.  I however am in the other camp which believes that C is very basic and doesn't contain a lot of constructs and concepts that more modern languages contain such as good object orientation and several data structures.  To me it makes a lot more sense to teach people concepts such as object orientation from the very start rather than trying to add it on later.
          C is the "building block". the concept of OO has been around even in the C days. Think structs and you will probably know what I mean. Well, it really doesn't matter what we think because all of us think different. Its a matter of what TS think he wants so there's no point "forcing" our ideas on him. Since he is interested in C and developing an OS, then let him be. We can only advise this much. Other than that, debating around this is a waste of time.

m_ilad__

Topic Starter

Beginner

• moderator locked one of my topics for no reason.
            • Experience: Familiar
            Well.. lots of answers I can give you...
            It's like 90% of programmers are scared of doing Huge goals like the one I mentioned!...
            What would be interesting for you then?!
            i once said "i don't care any unsuccessful thing happen".
            Life has to be with adventure, and I wanna be an adventurer.
            Do you really think that I don't know about the things happening in 2014?!
            i don't live behind the mountains! i know that's a huge goal with a huge Risk.
            i know all of you are trying to point such good things to "me = a foolish (with the value of 0")
            But, I'm on my rainy way, with Love.

Comerongray
            buddy, nothing is complicated. Only people see things complicated.
            Cause they're scared of being defeated. Being defeated means failure for most of the people.
            But for me, it means [ Tried Anyway ].
            You tell me write Useful apps for current OSs, instead of creating an OS.
            so what if I try both?
            When I say I'm up to create a mobile OS, doesn't it mean I will not try other things.
            You said already Samsung tried and created an OS Like bada and see how well it took off. [i knew]
            Well the answer is really simple!
            Samsung is Samsung and me is me.
            i don't care how successful or unsuccessful other people are. I see to myself.  if I can, I can. If I can't I can't.
            i need the speed of C and to manage cpu and memory better. That's one of the reasons i picked up C.

[quotes]BC Programmer[/quotes]
            About your answers you posted to three of my Questions, Thank you alot.

Briandams
            Thank you, buddy.

geek-9pm
            Thank you, sir.

Thank you all.
            a Moderator locked one of my topics for no reason.
            There are members here include bc programmer and comerongray answered some of my questions and thank them. but they did somethings bad to me too.
            Comerongray and squashman warn me sometimes about what I do in forum while they are not actually moderators.
            they ruined my topic as well as bc programmer that said something unrelated in it and so ruined it.
            now i can't start new topics anymore and can't PM to any member.This is certainly criminal

camerongray

Expert
              • Yes
            buddy, nothing is complicated. Only people see things complicated.
            Cause they're scared of being defeated. Being defeated means failure for most of the people.
            But for me, it means [ Tried Anyway ].
            You tell me write Useful apps for current OSs, instead of creating an OS.
            so what if I try both?
            When I say I'm up to create a mobile OS, doesn't it mean I will not try other things.
            You said already Samsung tried and created an OS Like bada and see how well it took off. [i knew]
            Well the answer is really simple!
            Samsung is Samsung and me is me.
            i don't care how successful or unsuccessful other people are. I see to myself.  if I can, I can. If I can't I can't.
            i need the speed of C and to manage cpu and memory better. That's one of the reasons i picked up C.

That's fine, do what you want.  I just don't want you to be wasting your time on something that is (for most people) not possible.  How much experience do you actually have with computer science, low level programming or just programming in general?

We aren't calling *you* foolish, we are just pointing out that as a new programmer you are setting goals that are far too hard to achieve, this is really common, people start off programming and thinking of all the massive things they can do (Trust me, I've been there) but after working for a while and gaining more experience you will begin to see how massive and unrealistic some of those ideas can be.  I had loads of projects I started years ago that turned out to be far too complex or not even possible (due to not properly planning the stuff out in advance).

Just to put this into perspective, we had a coursework task at university to implement a simple version of the UNIX 'banner' command (Only worked with numbers) using C and then MIPS assembly.  This project took several days/nights of solid work and we had many issues that took several hours to resolve.  This was around 100 lines of code in each version (C and Assembly) and was being written by second year university computer science students.  As this grew, especially in the Assembly version, it became extremely difficult to debug and was extremely error prone.  And that was for a single, fairly simple command, think of the size of this compared to an entire (or even part of) an OS!

This is a very common argument that people use to try to justify the use of old/simple programming languages.  The fact is that unless you are writing some sort of scientific application or a massive system where every fraction of a millisecond counts.  Nowadays it is much cheaper to get more powerful hardware to run a system than it is to pay developers the extra time they would require to build the same system in something like C instead of, for example, Java.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            This is a very common argument that people use to try to justify the use of old/simple programming languages.  The fact is that unless you are writing some sort of scientific application or a massive system where every fraction of a millisecond counts.  Nowadays it is much cheaper to get more powerful hardware to run a system than it is to pay developers the extra time they would require to build the same system in something like C instead of, for example, Java.
            Exactly!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Experience: Beginner
            But, I'm on my rainy way, with Love.
            I think you mentioned that in another thread...
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

m_ilad__

Topic Starter

Beginner

• moderator locked one of my topics for no reason.
              • Experience: Familiar
              you're right.

C Programming Language:
              i love C. she love me too! we are Happy together. she is the best cook I've ever seen.
              another reason for choosing low-level language, is it allows you.to.build things from basic and very basic and scratch..
              i wish i could write programs in machine language.. d@mnn! I will.go for that too!
              you may look Today.
              but i look Yesterday.. cause it take me to the places where Things born. [Adventure]
              NoLogicalReason can stop me to forget learning C.
              unless, Mr.Dennis Ritchie wake up from the grave and tell me: Forget learning C, pal, and Kiss the Wall !!
              i was on C++ before. but Learning Object-Oriented languages is like.. Kissing a wall !!.
              i'm learning intel assembly language, and it just... it just make me breathe! feeling relax..
              it might be because of my brain that prefer Weird stuff Orrr...Strange..
              that's another reason i chose C.
              "How they created x ???"
              Oh boy... i love that sequence of characters... well..
              ___/___/___/___/___/___/___/___/___/___/

Mobile Operating System:
              i see everything "easy". even when it comes to creating an operating system that operates many modern works.
              but Why?!
              why do I need.to.create one OS, while there are exists already? while there are kingdoms in this world, like Google and Apple?
              Because it is Fun! :P
              Let's Fun, if even will fall down one.........Day.

:)
              include <stdio.h>
              main ()
              {
                 printf ("Thank you all");
              }
              « Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:46:12 AM by m_ilad__ »
              a Moderator locked one of my topics for no reason.
              There are members here include bc programmer and comerongray answered some of my questions and thank them. but they did somethings bad to me too.
              Comerongray and squashman warn me sometimes about what I do in forum while they are not actually moderators.
              they ruined my topic as well as bc programmer that said something unrelated in it and so ruined it.
              now i can't start new topics anymore and can't PM to any member.This is certainly criminal