Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what are the Diffetences between all the Editions Of the C programming language?  (Read 20526 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
that "We" couldn't even give the right answer to the main question.
Your question made no sense. There are no "editions" of the C Programming language. The "Editions" you refer to are book Editions. Edits and changes made to the books themselves. I would guess some revisions do actually cover other revisions within the C language, however, as mentioned directly in the preface of the second edition, most of the edifications consist of refining examples and fixing errata. The First version covers C as it was in 1978; there wasn't a standard for it so effectively it went with one of the more standard dialects that were available. the Second Edition made revisions and fixed Errata as well as updating the code where applicable to apply to the newly standardized ANSI C standard. The second edition covers C89. There are no other revisions to that book to cover other versions of the language. Some of the other "editions" which are actually separate books might cover them but since you provide no details that is guesswork.

and my not-friend, wouldn't it be better to open a classroom and teach students the things you know?
? not sure where this is coming from. I'm not sure if knowing the difference between different books, different editions of the same books, and the versions of the programming language covered by said books can really be covered in a classroom. Seems like that basic categorization skill ought to be acquired through primary school, at the latest.
And at the beginning of the class, tell 'em "I know everything and will tell you all even if you wouldn't ask me or like it" ?
This doesn't seem relevant at all. Borderline trolling trying to incite a response with illogical non-sequiters.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Experience: Expert
and my not-friend, wouldn't it be better to open a classroom and teach students the things you know?
And at the beginning of the class, tell 'em "I know everything and will tell you all even if you wouldn't ask me or like it" ?

Oh no, I'm your "Not-Friend" - How can I sleep tonight knowing that!

I do actually help a lot of people with programming (and other subjects) and back when I was in school, during free periods I helped out in the first and second year computing classes.  I did not teach pure programming in this (In our education system that starts in third year) but I taught them "Scratch" which I believe is a brilliant learning tool as it teaches kids the concepts of programming and the structure of code, but without errors caused by simple typos.  I'd also say that having a small game they can then play and show friends is going to engage them a lot more than having a message print out on the screen.  These kids at this point have not chosen to study this computing class, it's compulsory so they are not all that interested in raw-code.  But during this I saw some amazing stuff, I saw people pick up stuff so quickly I could see straight away that they were going to be a good programmer including one girl who, without any instruction, removed parts of her "code" in order to help herself locate a bug.

I do not know everything, nor have I ever claimed that I do - There is loads of stuff I don't know, or only know parts of.

that "We" couldn't even give the right answer to the main question.
That is true, as I did not know the answer to your original question (Which contradicts your claim that "I know everything").  I did however feel that, as a new programmer you were starting on C with no good reason that you were going down the wrong path as there are many jobs and more practical uses with other languages as compared to C.  I thought, as a nice person I would just let you know this so that you could make a decision about what was best.  You then came out with your ridiculous claim of "Creating the best Mobile-OS of all time, with the highest security system, and with the thousands of apps."  I felt that this claim was unrealistic (and still believe it is).  As before I saw this as a regular mistake/belief held by new programmers so I felt I should help guide you onto a path that would be a lot better.

Of course you stay stuck in the mindset of "I know best, I won't listen to anyone else, other programmers don't make OSs because they are scared and modern programming languages make programmers stupid" so ignore all this advice given to you.

Oh yeah, and you missed a question again:
Please, explain why "Hard to read code is better"

m_ilad__

Topic Starter

Beginner

• moderator locked one of my topics for no reason.
    • Experience: Familiar
    I do actually help a lot of people with programming (and other subjects) and back when I was in school, during free periods I helped out in the first and second year computing classes.  I did not teach pure programming in this (In our education system that starts in third year) but I taught them "Scratch" which I believe is a brilliant learning tool as it teaches kids the concepts of programming and the structure of code, but without errors caused by simple typos.  I'd also say that having a small game they can then play and show friends is going to engage them a lot more than having a message print out on the screen.  These kids at this point have not chosen to study this computing class, it's compulsory so they are not all that interested in raw-code.  But during this I saw some amazing stuff, I saw people pick up stuff so quickly I could see straight away that they were going to be a good programmer including one girl who, without any instruction, removed parts of her "code" in order to help herself locate a bug.
    Nice work, bud.
    wish you successful in your life.
    ahh... i may not have enough money to buy a good computer to use and.... to use a compiler.
    the truth is It's months that I haven't used a C compiler. months ago my computer's hard disk terminated!
    all programs i wrote is in the paper...
    including the program that converts binary codes into decimal and reverse, or hex to binary and reverse, or hex to decimal and reverse, or hex to octal and reverse or octal to binary or reverse and all...
    i too wanted show my friends a tiny program like this. but sorry if I dont access to any computer.
    [/quote]That is true, as I did not know the answer to your original question (Which contradicts your claim that "I know everything").  I did however feel that, as a new programmer you were starting on C with no good reason that you were going down the wrong path as there are many jobs and more practical uses with other languages as compared to C.  I thought, as a nice person I would just let you know this so that you could make a decision about what was best.  You then came out with your ridiculous claim of "Creating the best Mobile-OS of all time, with the highest security system, and with the thousands of apps."  I felt that this claim was unrealistic (and still believe it is).  As before I saw this as a regular mistake/belief held by new programmers so I felt I should help guide you onto a path that would be a lot better.[/quote]
    Thank you a lot. you're right but I'll anyway try what I told.

Please, explain why "Hard to read code is better"
    because writing programs In LLL is more challenging and fun.

This doesn't seem relevant at all. Borderline trolling trying to incite a response with illogical non-sequiters.
    no it does.
    Your question made no sense. There are no "editions" of the C
    Programming language. The "Editions" you refer to are book
    Editions. Edits and changes made to the books themselves. I
    would guess some revisions do actually cover other revisions
    within the C language, however, as mentioned directly in the
    preface of the second edition, most of the edifications
    consist of refining examples and fixing errata. The First
    version covers C as it was in 1978; there wasn't a standard
    for it so effectively it went with one of the more standard
    dialects that were available. the Second Edition made
    revisions and fixed Errata as well as updating the code where
    applicable to apply to the newly standardized ANSI C
    standard. The second edition covers C89. There are no other
    revisions to that book to cover other versions of the
    language. Some of the other "editions" which are actually
    separate books might cover them but since you provide no
    details that is guesswork.
    thanks a lot.
    « Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:20:30 PM by m_ilad__ »
    a Moderator locked one of my topics for no reason.
    There are members here include bc programmer and comerongray answered some of my questions and thank them. but they did somethings bad to me too.
    Comerongray and squashman warn me sometimes about what I do in forum while they are not actually moderators.
    they ruined my topic as well as bc programmer that said something unrelated in it and so ruined it.
    now i can't start new topics anymore and can't PM to any member.This is certainly criminal

briandams

Beginner

• Experience: Guru
      I'm not even sure which compilers would allow Old style C function declaration.
      -ansi gcc switch?

briandams

Beginner

• Experience: Guru
        hah.
        This is hilarious. cause NoOne actually has given an answer to the main Question!
        I expected a C experienced programmer to guide me.

Thank you all, anyway.
        DONE.
        See Reply #8. And that should be your last post that you need to be concerned about. the rest are just not relevant. Please go and do your own stuff.

m_ilad__

Topic Starter

Beginner

• moderator locked one of my topics for no reason.
          • Experience: Familiar
          Thank you Geek-9pm, briandams, camerongray, bcprogrammer.

Sorry if i made you sad with my Words. i don't really want to
          make anyone sad by talking about what I like.
          many biggest projects had been written in C.
          And this will keep going even Today.
          a Moderator locked one of my topics for no reason.
          There are members here include bc programmer and comerongray answered some of my questions and thank them. but they did somethings bad to me too.
          Comerongray and squashman warn me sometimes about what I do in forum while they are not actually moderators.
          they ruined my topic as well as bc programmer that said something unrelated in it and so ruined it.
          now i can't start new topics anymore and can't PM to any member.This is certainly criminal

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Experience: Expert
          Thank you Geek-9pm, briandams, camerongray, bcprogrammer.

Sorry if i made you sad with my Words. i don't really want to
          make anyone sad by talking about what I like.
          many biggest projects had been written in C.
          And this will keep going even Today.
          Well, don't worry about revisions to C. .As has been mentioned. C is not a standard tool and is not going to have any radical changes. It is needed to maintain  existing software.  Using it for new projects is your  choice.