Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Windows 7 unable to start  (Read 3610 times)

raphaelhong

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Laptop Windows 7 unable to start
    « on: January 07, 2014, 03:00:41 AM »
    Hello.

I do not remember what I was doing on my Asus r500v laptop, but a few days ago it restarted and when booted, came up with the message, 'Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key'.

Following various advice on internet forums I have tried various things, such as turning off my laptop, unplugging the charger and taking out the battery to no avail.

When turning on, the f8/f9 buttons to system restore do not work.

I have downloaded the same OS (Windows 7 Pro (64bit)) and taken the necessary steps of reformatting the usb with cmd, and burning the OS onto the USB using the program 'ISO to USB'.

When this USB is plugged in, and the computer boots from this USB, the 'Install Windows' Menu pops up.

If i click the 'Install now' button, I am taken to another two options, 'Upgrade', and 'Custom'.

When Upgrade is selected, I get a Compatibility Report which tells me to start windows normally, (which is not a viable option at this point), before upgrading.

When Custom is selected, and Disk 0 (465.9 gb) is chosen, an error message stating 'Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the setup log files for more information.' From here, if the option 'Load Driver' is selected, there are no drivers to be selected.

In fear of causing even more problems I am not sure whether i should create a new driver under advanced options.

Going back to the first screen, there is an option stating 'Repair your computer'. There is no recovery tool that shows, so I select 'Restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier'. However, I have no previous system images, and i am taken to 'System Recovery Options.

System Restore has an error message which says i must specify which windows installation to restore, and to select an operating system.
    Windows Memory Diagnostic, similarly does not work.
    I do not know what to do with command prompt.

If Startup Repair is selected, the computer restarts and i am led to a 'windows boot manager'
    This states that windows failed to start. to fix the problem I am told to
    1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer
    2. Choose language settings, and click next
    3. Click repair your computer.

Which really just brings me to a full circle.

I am also given this information.
    File: \Boot\BCD
    Info: The Windows Boot Configuration Data file does not contain a valid OS entry.

If i press Enter to continue this returns to this screen, and if ESC to exit is pressed, i am also returned to this screen.

Once this is reached I am forced to reformat and re burn the Iso file onto the USB.

I would really appreciate some help and answers, thank you in advance.