Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Display stuck in unsupported mode  (Read 13989 times)

RudeDawg

Topic Starter

Beginner

Display stuck in unsupported mode
    « on: January 08, 2014, 11:38:28 AM »
    Hello, I tried to set my display settings to the highest setting (1920X**?) and now it is stuck in unsupported mode. I get a blue screen with a text box saying Unsupported Mode that moves around the screen.
    I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on a home built machine. My video card is a Radeon 5470 HD.
    I am able to start my computer in safe mode however, I cannot open Catalyst Control Center while in safe mode.
    A search of this forum and a Google search have turned up nothing except one suggestion to set it to a supported resolution and restart which is impossible since all that is visible is the floating text box.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Display stuck in unsupported mode
    « Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 12:52:09 PM »
    You can restart in safe mode, Right?
    Here are two methods to workaround your problem.
    1. ) Create a new user in Safe mode, log into the new user. Reset and start in the New user. After  that, come back he for more help if needed.
    OR
    2. ) Remove all video drivers and install again.

RudeDawg

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 02:47:53 PM »
      Ok, I created another account but I am unable to boot into the regular OS with either account, only Safe Mode. I had set my original account to log in automatically so I did the controluserpasswords2 thing and checked it to require a password thinking that I may be able to access my original account that way since I remember my old password. Wrong. It will allow me to select an account but it still boots to a blue screen with floating text box.
      I used Win key+Pause|Break and brought up Device Manager thinking I could go ahead and uninstall the driver. Wrong.  Just in case ... I DID find it in Device Manager and have chosen to uninstall the driver. Crossing my fingers and knocking on wood (my head)! Time for reboot ...

RudeDawg

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 02:50:38 PM »
        YAYYY! SUCCESS!! I am back in regular mode, will reinstall driver later. Have a great day !

RudeDawg

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 03:05:49 PM »
          Scratch that .... I WAS , however, able to salvage everything I wanted to save so I am just going to do a clean install of W7. Have a great day/morning/afternoon.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 03:23:47 PM »
          Seems a drastic move just to get your video drivers/settings back in order...but Best of Luck...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jasmin116

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 11:44:51 PM »
            I had set my original account to log in automatically so I did the controluserpasswords2 thing and checked it to require a password thinking that I may be able to access my original account that way since I remember my old password. Wrong. It will allow me to select an account but it still boots to a blue screen with floating text box.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 06:12:14 AM »
            You should start a new Post for your issue so it recieves the proper attention...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "