Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard works on one computer but not another  (Read 10895 times)

Clrrr

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Keyboard works on one computer but not another
    « on: January 14, 2014, 07:15:44 PM »
    My keyboard was working fine then out of nowhere it just stopped working completely.  I If I hold the key down for a few seconds it may or may not register on my computer but other than that it's not working.

So first I tried to use different usb ports and nothing, still the same thing. Then I connected it to my laptop to see if the keyboard was the problem because I just bought it. When I plugged it into my laptop it worked fine.
    Do you know what the problem could be? Do I need a new Mb?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Keyboard works on one computer but not another
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 08:02:58 PM »
    New Keyboard?
    If yes, Take it back. It is a hardware failure.

Note: USB ports can fail when a device draws too much current. You laptop may have a higher 'trigger' point. That is normal. The keyboard shoddy tony even come close to the tireder level.

Clrrr

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 08:12:57 PM »
      Thanks man, do you mind explaining the shoddy tony and tieder level trigger thing

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 09:08:06 PM »
      Hi

Do other USB devices work Ok with the computer like thumb drives or a USB mouse.

You could check in windows device manager that the keyboard installed correctly ie no exclamation marks.

If there is check to see if the keyboard needs any drivers for that version of windows.
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 10:08:46 PM »
      Problems with USB devices are much to common. The most frequent issue is stuff does not comply with the technical standards.  It is a QC issue. But in sopme cases it can be a driver issue. Newer versions of Windows have a full set of generic USB device drivers.

For a long list of post about this, go to the search box above and type in:
      USB PROBLEMS

A good generic keyboard is about $15 plus shipping. Fancy  keyboards are not always high quality. On Amazon I found:

Microsoft Wired Keyboard 200 for Business - Black by MICT9
          $19.95 $15.20

About my earlier comment. Windows shuts off a port that draws more that 500ma for more that a few seconds. This trigger is set in the hardware.  It is part ofthe USB standard. Minor variations introduction may cause this level  to vary. That is normal. But it is not normal for any keyboard to draw  more than t 250 MA.**

So yes, a lemon keyboard can work in one PC and not another. It is the keyboard.

EDIT:  ** Correction, keyboards normally take less that 100 MA. wireless keyboard come in under 25 MA to conserve battery life. (The old PS/2 keyboard took less that +5 V DC at 275 mA, the rating of the PS/2 interface.)
      « Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:24:37 PM by Geek-9pm »