Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will the e5-1650v2 ECC memory work with the asrock x79 exteme6 motherboard???  (Read 3366 times)

WadeWolf

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Hello engineers and tech gurus!  I've read throw many of the forms and thank all of you for the wonderful input!

Right now I'm getting ready to build a high end workstation for graphic processing.  It's similar to the DELL T3610 except the processor I'm using is the Xeon E5-1650V2 with a 6 core processor with 12MB cache.  (Dell is asking an extra $750 to upgrade).

I'm excited about this build however I do have some concerns and I've included my parts list bellow. 

First off, I need to see if my part list is compatible and with particular regards to the ECC. Since I process and archive client video & audio data and art-files I need to make sure these files are NOT corrupt.  I need to know if this motherboard is compatable with ECC or if there is a better choice for my e5-1650v2 processor than the asrock-x79-extreme6-lga2011 motherboard with the ECC in mind.  This is a professional application I need to make certain that this is a solid unit.

Also, are there special steps in setting up ECC?  Or is it more of a plug in and go?

Here is my build, let me know what you think?

Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2 Six-Core Processor 3.5GHz 0GT/s 12MB LGA 2011 CPU, OEM

ASRock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

1 CORSAIR CX series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3

1 AMD 100-505649(100-505844) FirePro V4900
    1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
    Workstation Video Card

Mushkin Enhanced Proline 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
    ECC Server Memory Model 994136
    Mushkin Enhanced Chronos

MKNSSDCR240GB-7 2.5" 240GB SATA III 7mm
    Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    If you need a solid workstation for critical work, don't get an Asrock board - in fact, don't get a consumer board.
    It's simply not designed to take that CPU and ECC memory.
    I would pick up an actual workstation board such as a Supermicro, or Asus WS series.
    I would also steer clear o f that Sandforce-based SSD, and go for a Samsung 840 Pro or Crucial M500.  Depending how vital your data is and how much you want to spend, better models are available, but I certainly wouldn't go with a Sandforce drive in any situation.