Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Scandisk keeps freezing  (Read 9788 times)

geekimmy

Re: Scandisk keeps freezing
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 09:54:52 PM »
Oh man! Now I've really done it!

The defrag worked great in safe mode, but I did something and can't remember where it was that I did it, but it said there were errors with the registry and did I want to fix them. Doh! I said yes and now my computer is totally screwed. All the fonts are messed up. It reverted back to an old screensaver that I used years ago. I can't get into the internet with my regular yahoo icon. When I double click, nothing happens. I had to go through msn messenger.

I know I'm a complete idiot and probably don't deserve your help, but any ideas you can give me would be appreciated (and please don't tell me to put the computer in the box, take it back and tell them I'm too stupid to use it)

Thanks!

k

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 10:21:15 PM »
    Did you run a registry cleaning program?

Check in system restore to see if you have an undo option.

I'm on w2k and it doesn't use system restore so I don't know much about it other than it can screw you up.

geekimmy

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 10:27:04 PM »
    LOL the last system restore point is from tonight. Before that, it is June 2001, so I don't think I'll go there.

Can you recommend a registry cleaning program?

k

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 10:35:42 PM »
      Can you recommend a registry cleaning program?

Not yet, you don't want to make any additional changes until you sort out the current problem.

Are you sure you can't remember what you did?
      If your registry has been changed by a program you clicked 'yes' to then there is probably a backup.

geekimmy

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 10:40:05 PM »
      I retraced my steps... It was Windows registry checker.

So, it probably reverted me back to June 2001 when I said YES to fixing the registry, right?

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #20 on: October 28, 2005, 10:58:27 PM »
        That sounds like what has happened.

Fed

• Sage
          « Reply #21 on: October 28, 2005, 11:02:39 PM »
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q183887/
          We need to wait for someone who has had experience with this, it ain't a guessing game.  :)

Ever thought of using w2k?  :D

Fed

• Sage
            « Reply #22 on: October 28, 2005, 11:23:18 PM »
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q221512/

Looks like an easy fix, just pick a day.  :)

geekimmy

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2005, 11:27:35 PM »
            You have helped me so much. Thank you!

I can't believe how much I have learned in just one evening.

If I had a clue of what w2k was, I might consider it... lol

Let me guess... Windows 2000?

Anyway, I keep falling asleep and hitting my head on the monitor. So time to pack it in and try some more tomorrow.

Again, thanks for all your help.

k.

Mac

Scandisk keeps freezing
            « Reply #24 on: October 29, 2005, 03:10:38 AM »
            I had Window ME for four years and found it to be an underpowered system with too many additions such as System Restore.

The problems with ME were never addressed and it is the one operating system which should never have come onto the market.

MS began to realise that the '98 / ME operating system was totally inadequate and they should only have maintained a Professional approach for Professional users and should not have succumbed to the crap sellers vision of cheap goods and cheap tricks.

The best advice is to either strip ME down to work like Windows '98 or change to Windows XP. Take the compatability test to see if your hardware will run XP Home.

As to ScanDisk, how old is the drive? They are prone to failure at about the four year mark. Run the drive manufacturer's drive diagnostic diskette to see if there are any errors and use Diskeeper Lite instead of the ME defrag. If it still won't run try using Delindex.bat to clear out old index.dat files and other junk files which can cause a stoppage.

With your ME bootdisk, if you put delindex.bat on to it you can simply run: A:\>delindex run , press Enter, and watch all the junk come off the drive.

The second time you run you will notice that there is not the same accumulation of junk files.

Again, using your ME bootdisk, run:

A:\>scandisk /all /surface , to see if there is a problem from scandisk's viewpoint.

A:\>scanreg /fix /opt , will optimise the registry and help to speed up the boot time.

A:\>scanreg /restore , you probably know about for restoring a previous registry.

If you disable System Restore completely, it is better to do a clean install to a properly partitioned drive and then make a drive image.

ScanDefrag 5.0 will run CleanManager, ScanDisk and Defrag automatically on re-boot when Windows is not loaded.

All in all, my experience of Windows ME was a bad one. By making it work like '98 I finally got it to perform properly. By changing to XP (Pro in my case, as it was all I could find in this locale) and adding more RAM (originally 256 MB) I found that I could get a LOT more performance from this lowly 1·0GHz PIII than was ever possible when using ME.

If you need the computer for work or study XP is the way to go. If it is only for play then better join the Army, take a GOOD look around you, move to higher ground and learn the art of survival.
            « Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 03:25:18 PM by Mac »

Fed

• Sage
              « Reply #25 on: October 29, 2005, 03:07:52 PM »
              A recap  :)
              Windows Registry Checker said there were errors with the registry and did I want to fix them. Doh! I said yes and now my computer is totally screwed. All the fonts are messed up. It reverted back to an old screensaver that I used years ago. I can't get into the internet with my regular yahoo icon. When I double click, nothing happens. I had to go through msn messenger.

If it was me I'd use a bootdisk and scanreg /restore but I'd feel better if someone else confirmed it.

Mac

Scandisk keeps freezing
              « Reply #26 on: October 29, 2005, 03:23:07 PM »
              A recap  :)
              If it was me I'd use a bootdisk and scanreg /restore but I'd feel better if someone else confirmed it.

Why not, and up the number of MaxBackupCopies in scanreg.ini for the next time...

Increase the number of Registries to be used by scanreg /restore.

Type: scanreg.ini , in the Run window and increase the value to MaxBackupCopies=10

Save the file and close it.
              « Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 03:24:02 PM by Mac »

merlin_2

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2005, 03:43:21 PM »
              Disagree with a statement made.........win98x rules the world........it depends what the user/it does to it.....

Fed

• Sage
                « Reply #28 on: October 29, 2005, 03:46:07 PM »
                W2k has no scanreg files at all, I guess it's so good it just doesn't need them.  :)

merlin_2

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2005, 03:51:24 PM »
                It does.....format changed to sfc.........scannow......