Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP NetServer LH II Drives to Windows  (Read 4499 times)

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Experience: Beginner
    HP NetServer LH II Drives to Windows
    « on: February 27, 2014, 03:25:19 PM »
    I got this unit in attempt to get the data off another one of these units an use this one to store some small files.  I don't know what kind of SCSI drives these are an looking for a adapter that can connect these via usb to windows an get the files off

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: HP NetServer LH II Drives to Windows
    « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 03:57:20 PM »
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »
    Hi
    The link Patio posted will work but it is likely these drives are running a version of raid.
    Which would preclude accessing drives individually you would need all the drives in the raid set attached to the PC to rebuild the raid array. As the controller is on the motherboard you can't swap the controller to the PC. You would need to find a controller the same for the PC.
    If this isn't possible then you could do the recovery remotely across a network.
    I you want to try this please ask and i will try and help further
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 05:47:15 PM »
      There is some form of adapter that I heard you can get for the drives but, I don't know what they are to actually get it.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 05:53:47 PM »
      I'd suggest buying a SCSI Controller card such as the Adaptec 2940 and install the drive(s) to that to interface with the drives at their SCSI address and terminator at the end of the chain, unless self terminated jumper is set.

***Also .... Format the drives before use !!!!  So your not looking into other peoples data on them !!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adaptec-AHA-2940UW-PCI-SCSI-card-/301102953524?pt=US_Computer_Disk_Controllers_RAID_Cards&hash=item461b227434#ht_780wt_916

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 05:54:20 PM »
      Once again we are gonna need alot more info  on the PC...and how it was setup...whether there is a RAID setup...or not etc...

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 06:15:38 PM »
        I'd suggest buying a SCSI Controller card such as the Adaptec 2940 and install the drive(s) to that to interface with the drives at their SCSI address and terminator at the end of the chain, unless self terminated jumper is set.

***Also .... Format the drives before use !!!!  So your not looking into other peoples data on them !!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adaptec-AHA-2940UW-PCI-SCSI-card-/301102953524?pt=US_Computer_Disk_Controllers_RAID_Cards&hash=item461b227434#ht_780wt_916

I have a card like that an the machine that I would look at the drives with don't have ISA.  Also, I don't know what I need to connect the card to the drives.  The other thing is that I want to see the information on the drives to know wether or not it needs to still be kept.

Once again we are gonna need alot more info  on the PC...and how it was setup...whether there is a RAID setup...or not etc...

I actually have no clue since I wasn't there when they were in use really.  I do know that this is the end Server an that there was a sub server that the client connected to to access the Server.  Netware 5 ??? 

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 06:25:26 PM »
        Well then ask the previous owner...or did this one come off the tree lawn like the last one ? ?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 06:45:52 PM »
        Is this the server you are using http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.BINARYPORTLET/public/kb/docDisplay/resource.process/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay_ws_BI&spf_p.rid_kbDocDisplay=docDisplayResURL&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&spf_p.rst_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-resourceState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-lpn11461-1%257CdocLocale%253D&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

If so was the drives being backed up to  dat tape as it would be easier to access this than the drives.

You said you had another server the same why can't you swap the drives to that one and then  see if they boot.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
        ― John Bunyan

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 04:54:26 PM »
          Is this the server you are using http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.BINARYPORTLET/public/kb/docDisplay/resource.process/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay_ws_BI&spf_p.rid_kbDocDisplay=docDisplayResURL&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&spf_p.rst_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-resourceState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-lpn11461-1%257CdocLocale%253D&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

If so was the drives being backed up to  dat tape as it would be easier to access this than the drives.

You said you had another server the same why can't you swap the drives to that one and then  see if they boot.

No, the one featured there on the floor looks like it though.  The Server boot's up I just don't know what's on it.  Cause, legally it's not mine an that is the one that we want to get the data off of since there wanted AC3 audio files.

Well then ask the previous owner...or did this one come off the tree lawn like the last one ? ?

If any really knew about these, he is dead so not like I can ask him.  Not sure what you mean by that other part.

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 05:14:46 AM »
          Another wheel spinner. I'm locking this. Go waste someone else's time.