Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Issues with user accounts  (Read 3156 times)

redneondot

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Issues with user accounts
    « on: March 08, 2014, 09:20:36 PM »
    I have windows vista

Yesterday ,after rebooting, my computer performed a disk check. After rebooting again, the computer worked normally *until* I came to the windows logon screen. Instead of having just two user accounts (Administrator and Our Family), a third one appeared. This one was also named "Our Family" and was password protected. Neither of our user accounts were ever password protected. Not knowing the password I obviously couldn't access that account. After logging in to the non-password protected "Our Family" account I noticed the desktop screen has the safe mode appearance even though I wasn't in safe mode. Also Java quit working, the audio service wouldn't run, and the 6to4 adapter wasn't working properly among other issues. I decided to try to restore windows to an earlier version. In attempting to do so, I receive this error message:

I went to services to turn on the Volume Shadow Copy Service however I received another error message:

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Issues with user accounts
    « Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 09:28:50 PM »
    Do you have an external backup?
    What AV programs do you use?
    Has you HDD ever shown any issues before?
    If so, when and what?
    What is the "the 6to4 adapter' and can  the computer run without it?

redneondot

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 04:58:48 AM »
      Hello Geek-9pm

Do you have an external backup?
      From before this problem started? No. I'm also unable to use the backup utility now as it "can't be used in safe mode".

What AV programs do you use?
      Windows defender and Norton

Has you HDD ever shown any issues before?
      None.
      If so, when and what?

What is the "the 6to4 adapter' and can  the computer run without it?
      It translates the IPv6 addresses used by Vista into IPv4 addresses, which are still used by most ISPs, routers and other networking devices. (Information from ehow). The computer can run properly without it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 11:11:24 AM »
      Log into Vista as the system Administrator. That is the only account that is named Administrator and to see it you  have to do a CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER at the log-in screen. Here is a link tat explains this:
      http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

Once in., create a new user account. This is needed as part of the recovery process when users accounts are corrupted.

But if the Administrator can not function properly, the problem is bey hound what I understand.