Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot connect to the internet unless wireless connection is named "network 2"  (Read 2408 times)

Adzinger

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    I'm running Windows 8 Ultimate 64bit. My internet dropped at around 6:30pm GMT today, and has been down ever since. I normally use a wired connection, but I also own a USB wireless adapter. Trying this adapter also didn't work, and the wireless connection to my phone couldn't get internet access either.

While I was unplugging and replugging the ethernet and adapter, I noticed that the WiFi network name changed to "(network name) 2" instead of just "(network name)". I cannot think what triggered this as both the ethernet and wireless dongle had been plugged in at the same time several times before, and were both listed as "(network name)".

I tried to connect to the internet, and it worked via the wireless connection, although the ethernet needed to be disabled. Enabling the ethernet stops internet access, and re-disabling it doesn't always cause the internet to come back via the wireless connection. I've tried several times to cause this switch to "(network name) 2", but it seems sporadic.

I've tried deleting the regedit memory of previous connections, and this doesn't seem to have an effect. Ipconfig /all shows that both the ethernet and wireless connections have IvP addresses and MAC addresses, even if I have no internet access.

If anyone has any idea as to why this switch allows internet access to my computer, what causes the switch, and if there is any way to get connectivity back through my ethernet cable (if these are related issues), I'd be very grateful.