Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: First Build failure  (Read 9852 times)

Novel8

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Familiar
    Re: First Build failure
    « Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 11:24:21 AM »
    Yes, I know where to do the connection thanks to u and others, my  only question is which remaining plug to use.
    is it a plug that should cover all that area at once...pwr,hd,lens and reset? or should there be a special one? The remaining ones not used is for the pci-e,Sata and a few Molex power plugs, they are not identified.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 02:33:29 PM »
    By installing the MB in the case, would i still have to short the Pwr sw?

The rest of the wires coming from the PSU show no identifications. I do see the molex power plugs, but the others are not identifiable other than the Sata plugs. how would i know which ones for the HDD, pwr,lens,reset switches?
    [/quote]

Quote from: BC_Programmer
    The Power Switch connector is called the power switch connector because it is where you plug in the power switch. The power switch is on the case. it has a connection coming from it, along with connections for the Hard drive light, Power light, and reset switch (if the case has one). These get plugged into the motherboard.

Yes, I know where to do the connection thanks to u and others, my  only question is which remaining plug to use.
    is it a plug that should cover all that area at once...pwr,hd,lens and reset? or should there be a special one? The remaining ones not used is for the pci-e,Sata and a few Molex power plugs, they are not identified.

There are really only so many ways to say the same thing. I even posted an image showing some connections.

You seem to have so far completely ignored or not read the repeated mentions that the connections will come from the case. asking "which remaining plug to use" and then listing power connections seems to imply to me that you have still not installed it in a case and further still may not have comprehended any of the mentions about what connects to those headers. I explained it several times so far and even included a picture. If you still do not understand that what you want to plug into the motherboard at that location is going to be coming from the case and instead expect it to be a connection on the power supply, I'm not sure how else I could explain it.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Novel8

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 06:54:08 PM »
      B C_Programmer....I apologize, you were absolutely right. I guess I bit off more than I can chew...The concept seems easy enough, but there are always snags that come up. I removed all connections as you suggested from the bench MB and got set up to install it into the Case, it was there in the case all those connectors from my previous board. Now, just as i was ready to install, i realized that i had to install the IO plate first...well, another snag comes along..the new one is slightly larger than the opening, maybe about a 1/16 larger..wasted some good time trying without success..i guess I might have to do some filing on one end. I really appreciate Your instructions.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 11:20:42 PM »
      Are you using your old case? If your previous system was a manufactured PC (Dell, Acer, etc) it might not have a standard sized rear panel for fitting the I/O shield from a new Motherboard, instead, it was "customized" for that particular machine and vendor.

Bear in mind the I/O shield does not sit "flush" with the rest of the rear of the case, but will be slightly larger than the allotted space.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Novel8

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 07:08:00 AM »
        I am using my old case, an OEM and for me the perfect size and etc. it was the main reason whwn my MB died, that I decided to do my first build, so i can continue to use it. Thia morn I crazy glued the IO shield...and hope it works, so i can follow thru with the MB. Thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 02:22:57 PM »
        Just wanted to mention that most manufacturers do not use universal connection to the front panel LEDs/Switches.

For example to reuse HP, Dell, and Compaq OEM cases with replacement motherboards, I had to cut the front panel wiring harness out of some old 486 and pentium 1 cases that I had that were universal, then I had to cut the single black plug off the HP, Dell, or Compaq harness, then trace the wires back to what they went to, and then match up the 2-pin connectors with the wire pairs and connect and shrink tube them, and then the OEM case was then converted to a universal wire harness from that of a wiring harness for the front panel that only worked with the original motherboard the manufacture installed in the computer since the pin outs can change between manufacturers of motherboards.

If you dont have a universal wire harness to cut out to use in an OEM case the other 2 options are either, carefully remove the wires from the single connection from the original OEM harness and rewire it to match up to the new motherboard. * This however requires a small tool shich can be either a push pin or a safety pin to carefully unlock each of the pins from the connector. The connector has small black tabs that the pins lock into , and tugging the wires out of the connector without unlocking them from the retaining locks will damage the small metal wing on the pins that lock the pins into the connector.

The other method if you cant unlock the pins and rearrange them in the original single connection is to cut the wires with plenty of length left to mix move the wired devices from the front panel to match up to the correct motherboard pins, but this is a very sloppy way of doing this.

Lastly these 2 alternate methods without converting it to universal means that down the road if you go to swap the otherboard out again, you will have to repin or rewire it all over again, so converting the OEM case to universal 2 pin connectors is the best way to go.

I have 2 systems at home that are OEM cases converted to universal harness. A Compaq Presario S6030NX which has gone through 2 motherboards since 2003, original Athlon XP 2800+ died in 2006, then I placed a Pentium 4 into it for a while until I got a deal on a dual-core CPU & motherboard for $65 in 2009 and its still running on that 5 yr old motherboard. The other was acquired recently a HP A1210n that was getting thrown away because it would lock up tight and it had the bad capacitors in it all swollen and leaking, and I liked that full height case and so I converted it to universal and installed a $43 brand new Biostar Socket AM3 motherboard into it with Athlon II x2 215 2700Mhz with 2GB of DDR3 1333mhz, and added a GeForce GT430 video card that I got for $25.

The easiest route to go for anyone is to just buy a new cheap case and install to that. Sometimes I go this route, but if I have an OEM case that I like the features and appearance of, I will go through the 30 minutes to 1 hour it takes to universalize a non-universal case.

* Other areas you can run into problems with OEM cases are just like BC stated where the board doesnt line up with the backplate I/O shield etc.

I have also had to drill out mounting holes to convert the power supply bay to take a universal power supply because HP/Compaq decided that they wanted to use different mounting orientation to their power supplies that otherwise share the same dimensions of that of a off the shelf 500 watt power supply, but only 1 of 4 holes on the case line up with the universal power supply. After making a rubbing template of the proper universal mounting and carefully drilling the case out without anything inside for metal filings to get down into, and then blowing case out with compressed air to get rid of any metal fragments, I then was able to install an off the shelf power supply and fully universalize an OEM case.

Lastly with this being a BIG WARNING, is that some manufacturers have the mounting base of their cases very similar to that of a standard mATX or ATX case, yet there is an extra dome or stand off that does not line up with a replacement motherboard. If you do not catch this when you install a new motherboard you can fry your new motherboard by shorting component legs to chasis ground. On reuse of OEM Cases, always double check that each stand off or mounting dome matches to a mounting hole in the motherboard you are putting into the case. Sometimes there will be an extra and it can spell disaster if powered and board is shorted. Stand offs are easier to deal with, just remove them, however if its a formed mounting plate with domes drilled at their tops, you will have to flatten (hammer) the dome down so that it does not make contact with the motherboard. I found that a socket on a 6" socket extension with a hammer to drive the socket face directly into the dome top works best to gain access to the area without risk of striking other parts of case with hammer etc. * Be sure no components are in the case while you do this, especially the hard drive!!! I almost fried a motherboard once due to this. Fortunately the powersupply when powered was making a ticking noise and so I knew there was a problem and shut it off to look for the short. When found and problem resolved the system turned on with no problems, and that was with a 486 installed into a 286 case many years ago, however I have seen the problem more recently such as in the HP A1210n case which had a dome that needed to get flattened which did not match up to standard ATX or mATX boards.

These lengths of reuse many people will not bother with and they will just spend the $15 - $30 for a new cheap case for mATX or ATX without Power Supply  to mount their parts into.

Novel8

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 10:38:44 AM »
          [quote author=DaveLembke

This board will not boot up until the motherboard senses a start from a push buttom or a quick ( 1 second ) short of the PWR_SW pins. *Note: If these pins are constantly shorted the board will shutdown soon after booting as if you held the push button in etc.

Well after a couple of days taking a breather, I tried again this mid morning and this time I got a bit further and matched what your quote said above. I heard the cpu fan coming on for the first time  and very briefly I saw a digital reading in red , something like this.."0  0 ", below it, and then it shut off. I connected everything but the HDD sw ( no HD installed ) and no ram. I presume at least that up to now there is nothing wrong with the setup...ie.. CPU,HS & Switches.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 10:49:55 AM »
          BC_Programmer has it right on.
          For years now PC motherboards have a front panel thing that starts the PSU.
          So yes, all motherboards have a place for a power start button. Just as in the nice photo BC posted.

Novel8

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 04:56:09 PM »
            BC_Programmer has it right on.
            For years now PC motherboards have a front panel thing that starts the PSU.
            So yes, all motherboards have a place for a power start button. Just as in the nice photo BC posted.

????  I wasn't asking for acknowledgment...I was relating my recent endeavor..so in what way did ur reply helped?