Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sadly Ghost 2003 doesnt seem to work with modern hardware ='(  (Read 10181 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Sadly Ghost 2003 doesnt seem to work with modern hardware ='(
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 02:18:57 PM »
Seagates is also Acronis...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 11:34:12 AM »
Good to know the work around for Windows 7 with sectors aligned to 4k boundaries. I have a Buffalo brand NAS, but its not NTFS its XFS so i cant use this at the get go, but if I ever use freenas etc to make one out of an old box, that is NTFS its good to know of this 128GB .vhd file mount work around. However use on an external USB NTFS formatted drive is probably the path I would take.

If you use an NTFS formatted VHD on the NAS, when you need to restore from the image using a Windows Recovery Disk or a Windows install disk, you will need to get the VHD mounted so the image restorer can see it, this would consist of 1. Opening a console, seeing what drive letters are spare 2. Typing STARTNET to get network access 3. Using NET USE to give the NAS share a drive letter (you will be asked for a NAS password)  4. After that using Diskpart to mount the disk. You could roll this up into a .cmd or .bat script and have it somewhere the recovery disk can see it

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 11:54:05 AM by Salmon Trout »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 11:49:15 AM »
I found my notebook...

1. Boot from recovery disk
2. Select "System Recovery Options"
3. Select "Use recovery tools" radio button
4. Next >
5. Command Prompt
6. Startnet [Enter]
7. Type Diskpart [Enter]
8. You are in the Diskpart environment.
Type LIST VOLUME to get a list of mounted volumes
Type EXIT [ENTER] to quit Diskpart
Select a spare drive letter, here I use R:
Your NAS name and path will be different...
Use quotes if the share path has spaces...

9. NET USE R: "\\GOFLEX_HOME\Goflex Home Backup"
10. You will be asked for a NAS password
11. Check share is mounted e.g. DIR R:

12. Diskpart again...
SELECT VDISK FILE=R:\imagefolder\image.vhd [Enter]
ATTACH VDISK [Enter]
LIST VOLUME [Enter]
Now you should see your virtual disk mounted as another drive letter
EXIT [Enter]
and you can use the Windows Recovery Environment image restore feature which will see the backup on the VHD on the the drive whose letter you saw in step 12

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 12:49:06 PM by Salmon Trout »

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 01:15:02 PM »
Thanks for clarification and sharing exact steps from notebook.

Saving this all as a pdf to revisit later without having to dig for it in search.  8)

Also
Seagates is also Acronis...
, I didnt know this. I thought seagate had made their own drive clone utility. But I guess why do that when you can pay Acronis to put the Seagate name on their limited version product. I haven't used this Seagate Drive Clone utility since like 2005 when I bought a brand new 160GB IDE HDD and the CD came in the box with the drive.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 02:06:48 PM »
In 2005 it was someone else's...i have it in my notes somewhere...i believe it was around 2009/10 they made the Acronis deal.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Reckless

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 09:52:29 PM »
    Hi all.

I haven't read the entire thread on this post, but gather people are having difficulty with using Ghost 2003 with SATA drives, Vista and Windows 7. Just to put my two-pence in, it isn't really a problem. The first thing you need is the final version of 2003 "ghost.exe" which is 'build 793'. That will give you SATA support. (I managed to find it by looking through Norton's archives)

Secondly, having obtained that version and created your boot disk, in order to use Ghost 2003 with XP (SATA), Vista or Windows 7, you should first boot up and when you have the main screen of Ghost.... select "QUIT" to get to an "A/:" prompt.

Then type in the following (disregarding the quote marks, but recognising there is a 'space' between the switches you need)....

"ghost -fdsp -noide" (ghost[space]-fdsp[space]-noide)... then hit 'Enter'

This will bring you back to the main Ghost interface and will allow you to take images, or restore as required, having made the necessary adjustments to Ghost to allow for SATA or, indeed, Vista/7.

I am currently running XP, Vista and 7 on seperate PC's and using Ghost 2003 without any problem at all!

You may also like to have the mouse facility for this program to make life easier. Check out 'http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/bootcdintro.html#P1' for instruction.

Hope this helps in some way. ;D

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 02:31:55 PM »
    Reckless .... very interesting info shared.. I will try this out with a laptop I have running Windows 7 that I need to create a image of. Will be a neat test.  :)

Reckless

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 04:41:18 PM »
      DaveLembke......

If you run into any problems in obtaining the 793 build of Ghost.exe 2003, I could perhaps email you a copy of my 'bootcdp1.IMA' file (1,440 KB) which you will simply need to burn to a bootable CD (I used Nero). This image is already setup to support mouse use within the Ghost interface.

Let me know if I can help. :)

PS... It should be said that I have no idea if this will work when creating an image on a USB drive. I do not know if Ghost 2003 has USB support. I use a combination of extra internal HDD's and/or partitions on which to store images.
      « Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 05:42:28 PM by Reckless »