Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell XPS 610 CPU Upgrade?  (Read 5036 times)

longmvu

Dell XPS 610 CPU Upgrade?
« on: April 09, 2014, 03:28:07 PM »
I have upgraded my upgraded my power supply a few months back with AC 101-102V and 50/60 Hz. I am looking to upgrade to a Intel Dual Core Quad Q6700 or Q6600. I want to know if it will work and if I need a new heatsink or thermal compound. I would also like directions on how to do this.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Dell XPS 610 CPU Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:19:17 PM »
Your PSU specs make no sense...
Will that Dell MBoard accomodate the new CPU ? ?
You may be better off considering a new build rather than throwin $$ at an old Dell.
Just food for thought.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

longmvu

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 06:52:27 PM »
Your PSU specs make no sense...
Will that Dell MBoard accomodate the new CPU ? ?
You may be better off considering a new build rather than throwin $$ at an old Dell.
Just food for thought.

Ok just realized my mistake it is actually a Dynex 400-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply. The Dell Motherboard should work with the Q6700 according to my research if I upgrade the BIOS to v2.5.3. I currently have a budget of $200.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 07:00:04 PM »
What do you have for a video card?

400watts works fine for that quadcore as long as its not loaded down heavily by a heavy duty video card and/or multiple hard drives etc.

longmvu

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 07:15:57 PM »
What do you have for a video card?

400watts works fine for that quadcore as long as its not loaded down heavily by a heavy duty video card and/or multiple hard drives etc.

I am currently using Galaxy - GeForce GT 610 GC 1GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »
400 watts should work fine with Quadcore CPU as for this video card is not a watt hog. That is assuming that this PSU is a true 400 watt and not a power supply that is rated higher than it can actually power.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 05:44:44 AM »
A good 400w unit will be fine with that CPU but unfortunately the PSU you are using is extremely low end.  It may work, but I would strongly urge you to replace it with a good quality unit - Cheap PSUs like that "Dynex" one are almost always overrated (can't provide a full 400w) and lack safety features that would shut off the PSU in the event of a problem which can prevent fire and the PSU damaging other parts in the system.  The PSU is the one part of a system you should never cheap out on.

This PSU would do the job brilliantly - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151127

As far as heatsink/thermal compound - You will be able to use your current heatsink but you will need to clean off the old thermal compound (Ideally with rubbing alcohol) and apply new stuff.

longmvu

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 02:12:02 PM »
Any instructions on how to remove the heatsink?

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 05:36:17 PM »
Be sure to flash the motherboard with latest BIOS before swapping CPU or else you may end up with a system that wont boot on you.

Heatsinks for socket 775 come in a couple different formats, with the most common being the 4 locking legs that unlock by screw driver, however if your heatsink is different than this, such as a higher end heatsink with heatpipes etc it will come appart differently.

Here is the most common heatsink type to off the shelf grade computers: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2231&page=7

longmvu

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 05:11:12 PM »
Be sure to flash the motherboard with latest BIOS before swapping CPU or else you may end up with a system that wont boot on you.

Heatsinks for socket 775 come in a couple different formats, with the most common being the 4 locking legs that unlock by screw driver, however if your heatsink is different than this, such as a higher end heatsink with heatpipes etc it will come appart differently.

Here is the most common heatsink type to off the shelf grade computers: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2231&page=7

I looked around and found this video. It is the same heat sink that is in my computer. Would I have to reapply the Thermal Paste after taking it off?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 05:59:18 PM »
Yes.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 06:32:30 PM »
Just to say again, you really should replace that PSU with one from a reputable brand like XFX, Seasonic, FSP, Antec, Corsair.etc - Those Dynex units are just rebadged, low end units that are extremely cheaply made - I certainly wouldn't trust one to run my PC.