Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copy and Paste ALWAYS Screen Capture/PrintScreen Instead  (Read 14636 times)

wvfaerywoman

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Copy and Paste ALWAYS Screen Capture/PrintScreen Instead
    « on: April 14, 2014, 07:34:02 AM »
    No matter what program I am using, no matter if I use the keyboard or right click my mouse, I can never copy text. I ALWAYS get a screen capture/printscreen instead. Is there any way of stopping this behavior? Does anyone know what may be causing this?

Something similar has happened periodically on other machines. The first time I would copy and paste, I would get some sort of graphic, but usually the second try I got the text. On my home PC using Windows 7 Home Premium, it is a screen capture 100% of the time.  At first I thought my clipboard was malfunctioning because when I tried to paste copied text, nothing happened. Now I think it was taking screen captures which won't paste into certain fields.

The only program I have installed that has a screen capture function is PaintShop Pro 4 (I think).

This is driving me InSaNE.

Thanks!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Copy and Paste ALWAYS Screen Capture/PrintScreen Instead
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 07:40:03 AM »
    What are you using to Copy/Paste?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 08:32:05 AM »
    Please explain exactly how you are doing the copy and paste actions.  Are you using keyboard shortcuts?  If so, what are they?  If you are using a mouse, exactly how? 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 08:59:43 AM »
    And is PaintShopPro running in the background ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

wvfaerywoman

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 02:43:21 PM »
      I am in Word or Notepad or Chrome or Explorer or any other program I have used. Last night, it did it with a CAD map-making program.

I use ctrl C and ctrl V or I click and highlight and drag over text with my mouse and then right-click to copy from the drop-down menu. It lets me "copy" but when I go to paste 1) I don't have the option from the drop-down menu OR 2) after I do it nothing appears OR 3) I paste in a screen capture instead of the text I thought I copied. It is like my copy function has been rewritten to become solely a screen capture.

And No, the PaintShop program is not running in the background, but I will double-check to make sure when I go home tonight.

I downloaded a program last night that tested opening and closing my clipboard and supposedly that is functioning okay.

And thanks for replying. Sorry I didn't respond right away but I did the post right before starting work.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 05:17:23 PM »
      I downloaded a program last night that tested opening and closing my clipboard and supposedly that is functioning okay.
      What program is that? 

Lysanne201

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 11:36:32 AM »
        Hi I've been having the same issue, and it turned out to be a hardware issue for me, the print screen key frequently works on it's own without touching it.
        Solution is double checking the key for reasons why it does that, or replacing your keyboard altogether if you can't solve it or it keeps returning.