Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: UK gove £5.5m XP support  (Read 5983 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
UK gove £5.5m XP support
« on: April 11, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
From the Guardian.
UK government pays Microsoft £5.5m to extend Windows XP support
Should I become British?   :P

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: UK gove £5.5m XP support
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 01:59:18 PM »
Wonder if you set it up for UK region if you can get the extra year when installing. It would still be in english, but your time would be wrong for where you are say in the USA..LOL 

Guessing there is more to it then just configuring your XP install disguised as a British build.  ;D

What would be even better is if XP is purchased from Microsoft by a national group and then support for security updates becomes a community effort. I know that there are many people who say put XP to rest and go with 7 or 8, but XP really has nothing wrong with it, although I am sure that future hardware will support it lesser and lesser, as well as core features of CPU that a newer OS would be able to tap into may sit idle without an OS that can tap into the full features of a modern CPU's instruction set etc.

Back many years ago I remember finding out after the fact that Windows 2000 Pro SP4 couldnt tap into the 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading. So in order to get the full potential of the CPU's Hyperthreading, I had to buy a license of Windows XP. The performance gain was beneficial back around 2005 when I ran a before and after benchmark.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »
What would be even better is if XP is purchased from Microsoft by a national group and then support for security updates becomes a community effort.
No. XP needs to die.

but XP really has nothing wrong with it
It's 12 years old. It doesn't have Out of Box support for USB3, SATA, or Firewire; it doesn't even support USB2 without a service pack, and it's support for Wifi- which is now ubiquitous- is sketchy at best, usually you end up using an aftermarket program.

as well as core features of CPU that a newer OS would be able to tap into may sit idle without an OS that can tap into the full features of a modern CPU's instruction set etc.

Like the entire x86-64 Instruction set.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 06:09:45 PM »
Fact of the matter is whether it needs to die or not is irrelevant as it's still got a huge install base Worldwide and i predict you'll see more of this...whether it's right ...or wrong.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 06:39:07 PM »
Fact of the matter is whether it needs to die or not is irrelevant as it's still got a huge install base Worldwide and i predict you'll see more of this...whether it's right ...or wrong.
Yes,  think of  cigarettes.  Not good. Still used.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 08:34:25 PM »

I didn't say whether it was right or wrong. I'm saying this is just delaying the inevitable, and more importantly of anybody thinks this will affect consumers of XP outside of those businesses it's wishful thinking.

The very same governments did the exact same thing for Windows NT4 and 2000; they delayed, and they delayed, upgrading their images to a new system, all the while dismissing it as "ahh, Microsoft will totally change their mind". Then when MS pulled the plug on win98SE in 2004 they scrambled and basically ended up purchasing a extended support contract from MS.

For governments and businesses, the only thing that matters is whether it works and they can use it. For governments, the main prerequisite is that it can play solitaire. This is vital, because shooting elastics around is wasteful and elastics cost money too, and employees need something to do while they force people phoning to listen to terrible music for excessively long wait times.

For businesses, of course, the only thing that matters is the bottom line.

Personally, for example,  my company makes software for businesses. It wasn't until recently that it started to get replaced.

The software that has the largest install base is over 30 years old. It is Text-based and is handled at terminals; the terminals have since been upgraded to Windows and use a Terminal Emulator, but the server is still running a system that is over 25 years old. Our software has been updated itself, but the system is still ancient; it's all written in BASIC, etc.

So the question is, "why don't they upgrade".

Because it works. There have been three efforts to upgrade the system so far; the only one that got anywhere was this one. All the previous attempts were met with harsh criticism and got very little acceptance from customers. This is because the changes directly affected how their business would work. They had staff who were familiar with our system as well as the idiosynchrasies; and so the cost of retraining them was high; the new software lacked a few features that were specific to the old OS and didn't really have an equivalent, and so on.

The only thing that changed their minds was when the networking stack of the ancient OS it all runs on started to croak and died inexplicably for no good reason, taking down their entire server for hours at a time, to the point where they ended up turning away customers. That suddenly piqued their interest in the new system which didn't have those problems. Fact is that a company is only going to consider changing from one piece of software to another if that new version will affect their bottom line in a positive fashion.

The same thing applies to Windows XP. For the same reason companies are still using THEOS Corona in 2014, companies will continue to use Windows XP.

Consumers, however, have ad 12 years to switch; it's a case of simply not wanting to learn a new system, or pay for a new system, or whatever the case may be; and that is and always has been their choice. For businesses it's a choice to- but it has better motivations than "we don't like it" because switching will actually affect their bottom line.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 07:14:58 AM »
Should I become British?   :P

I know you weren't being serious, but "becoming British" is very difficult.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 07:22:38 AM »
Wonder if you set it up for UK region if you can get the extra year when installing. It would still be in english, but your time would be wrong for where you are say in the USA..LOL 

Guessing there is more to it then just configuring your XP install disguised as a British build.  ;D

From the TFA ("The Fine Article", as Slashot users will know, as in "RTFA")

“We have made an agreement with the Crown Commercial Service to provide eligible UK public-sector organisations with the ability to download security updates to Windows XP, Office 2003 and Exchange 2003 for one year until 8 April 2015,” said a Microsoft spokesperson.

This is not for all XP installations located in the UK locale. The British government has negotiated a corporate deal for 1 year of ongoing support of the shrinking number of remaining machines running XP in government and public sector organisations.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:50:57 AM by Salmon Trout »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 12:45:01 PM »
I have seen some talk about the security patches, updates, etc obtained by corporate customers getting out into the wild and being distributed by e.g. Bit Torrent, but I would no more trust such things than I would trust a Torrented OS install disk image to be free of malware.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 03:07:26 PM »
I see that in the USA the IRS is going to have to spend millions on extended XP support...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/11/us_taxman_blows_win_xp_deadline_will_spend_millions_on_custom_support/

I expect they are not the only US govt agency and that this is happening all over the world...

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 07:23:28 PM »
I have gov job and all I can say is that while there is a mix of new and old Hardware and OS. The older OS and hardware are offline or Private Isolated Networks ( invisible to the internet and vulnerabilities ) in the gov sector that I am at. We still have for example DEC Alpha's running their 1990s 64-bit CPU's at 233Mhz serving a purpose far beyond the life expectancy of most Corporate applications which are running OpenVMS and NT4.

Nothing lasts forever and so when the hardware dies eventually they will have to upgrade, but if it serves its purpose, is secure, has very little down time, and the cost of keeping it running is far cheaper than spending in the "billions" to replace these servers that dont need to be modern to do what they do and do well, then they keep on chugging along with what they do.

I cant speak of the application of these ancient servers, but they serve a purpose and their processing power is not linked to user productivity since they are able to process everything still as quickly as they did when implemented in the mid 1990s.

I think the only savings they could make is in modern hardware that requires less power to accomplish the same task/goal. But why waste billions of dollars to replace what works and works well when it would take a very long time for the energy savings to offset that cost of replacement.

For the gov sector that is tied in with the Internet, this is offices with workstations for users who are on XP etc, I can see them scrambling to maintain the support for XP, however in my sector of the gov, all workstations in our location have been moved to Windows 7. Its only the offline isolated systems that hackers would never have access to that are running on older OS's at our sector. Any software that was specific for XP is either running fine on 7 or is running on XP Compatability mode.

We even run out of date versions of Linux and these OS run with no problems. Cant go into specifics, but just an example of the inside without sharing anything confidential.