Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help! Query re sony laptop  (Read 3752 times)

Gilbertsarahh

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Help! Query re sony laptop
    « on: May 04, 2014, 09:35:32 AM »
    Hi, I am hoping someone is able to assist with my very basic question from someone (me) who is rubbish with computers.

I have a very old Sony vaio laptop model number pcg-5jep and the charger doesn't work. There is no battery left and I have some word documents saved on it that I need to access. I am looking to buy a new charger however when I search for the laptop model, I cannot seem to find any websites that sell it but offer numerous other chargers for vaio but not for the model I have.

So..
    1. Does anyone know where I can buy a charger for this model? Or..
    2. Can I buy any sony vaio laptop charger and it will work? Or..
    3. Is there another model number where the charger will work in the model I have? If so, which model charger should I buy?

Many thanks in anticipation,
    Sarah

Salmon Trout

Re: Help! Query re sony laptop
    « Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 12:03:41 PM »
    What country do you live in? You can get laptop charger/power bricks that are "universal", that is, that will work with lots of different brands of laptop. They sell them in places like Maplin and Currys/PC World in the UK. There are lots on Amazon. Most power supplies only differ in the plug that goes in the laptop and universal chargers often have a whole bunch of them in a little bag. Imperial Gadgets (UK) sell them for 47 pounds plus delivery and they mention that they work with most Sony laptops.

http://www.imperialgadgets.co.uk/buy-sony-laptop-power-supply?gclid=CL37_P7qkr4CFfShtAodsSIAZA

Salmon Trout

Re: Help! Query re sony laptop
    « Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 02:50:50 AM »
    Of course, the above suggestions are assuming you actually want to resurrect the old Sony Vaio and continue using it. You said the battery is defunct. You might have to buy another one as well as a power brick. (maybe the laptop will work on the mains power with a dead battery inside?)  If you think those purchases would not be cost-effective then a probably cheaper alternative would be to get the hard drive out of the laptop and put it into an external drive enclosure (a case) and then you can plug it in to another computer via USB and, (assuming the hard drive is actually working and the data is still accessible and uncorrupted) you could copy off the files, pictures, whatever and keep them somewhere else, or just use the the drive as a storage resource. If you are seeking a way to recover the items, it does sound like they are precious to you, and in this case you might wish to consider keeping copies in more than one storage location in future. (That is, keep backups).

If you are not confident of doing the above, or don't know anybody who is, most largish towns have computer repair businesses that you can take the laptop to and they will be able to supply a power brick and/or rescue the drive and put into an enclosure for you, possibly while you wait. Do a Google search and find some phone numbers. In the UK we have PC World etc but in my experience very often the smaller companies are very friendly and helpful.