Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need help!!  (Read 3762 times)

computer_dummy

I need help!!
« on: July 21, 2004, 11:56:25 PM »
Hi, I am new to this board and don't have any knowledge with computers and am hoping someone can help!  I bought my compaq computer in 2000 and it has worked fine for a while but recently it got slower and eventually just quit.  I rebooted it but nothing will come up.  Do I just need a whole new computer?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated  :)

angellalas

Re: I need help!!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 06:37:37 PM »
 :) there are lots of factors to be considered why your computer acted that way. one of its cause could be the viral infection, meaning your pc has been infected with viruses that damages your program files. try to clean your pc with anti-virus software.  ;) God bless!!

MalikTous

Re: I need help!!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 09:12:41 PM »
If you replace that box, build your own and get something better than a HP/Compaq...

Boot to safe mode and open MSCONFIG from the run dialogue, and uncheck averything you're the least bit suspicious of. You have been loaded with spyware and adware, and need to remove the same from your system. If you really want to give it the heave ho and are aware of the assorted spyware IDs, search your registry (with REGEDIT) for them and strip them out of the registry, then look for their folders and delete those.

When you restart and the machine comes back up near normal and you can connect to the Internet, download AdAware, SpyBotS&D, SpySweeper, and HijackThis and use them to kill off any remaining spyware on your system.

Also make sure your virus killer utility is updated and running.