Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sightspeed certificate on startup.  (Read 8035 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Sightspeed certificate on startup.
    « on: April 28, 2014, 06:39:02 AM »
    Hello and thank you for looking at my question.

I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop running Vista. For a while now the sightspeed certificate has been coming up as a Security Alert saying  " The security certificate has expired"

SightSpeed is a videoconferencing company, supplying VoIP and instant messaging software for Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh operating systems.
    In October 2008, the company was acquired by Logitech for $30 million.[1] The Logitech Vid service is based on SightSpeed's technology. Due to competing software, the Logitech Vid video calling service will be discontinued as of July 1, 2013
    Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SightSpeed

Will I loose my video/camera on the laptop if I disable it?

How can i disable it?

How can I get rid of this annoying nag screen every time I start my laptop please?

These are multiple choice answers. An answer to one or all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you ImnoGuru.
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Sightspeed certificate on startup.
    « Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:45:46 PM »
    So this is bound to your camera's driver?

To me it seems as the driver should remain and this conferencing software can be removed, although it sounds like Logitech no longer has download of this software available so before removing it, I'd make sure you still have a copy of it such as on an image or system recovery set to bring it back if needed.

Programs like skype etc should work fine with this camera with just the driver installed to enable/disable it when in use and no longer in use etc.

Unfortunately I have not worked with this camera software before to go into specifics.

As far as getting rid of a certificate problem in the past, I set my systems date/time backwards to match up better with the certificate, but thats not a real fix, just a sloppy band aid that leads to problems elsewhere for applications that need the current date/time to function properly etc.

Can you get a screenshot of this message to share?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:25:44 PM »
    " The security certificate has expired"
    Why?
    This question has come up before on other forms. Some websites forget to Reno. There certificates. Other times, a website will try to share one certificate with several domain names. Both of those conditions can bring a tear message. Also, if there is an error in transmission and may be interpreted as an invalid security certificate. However, that should be rather rare because all packets have a way of checking the validity of the data. So frequent errors in security certificates indicate something else is going on.
    Can this past year, at past few months, the issue of is getting greater. Judging by the amount of complaints that can be seen on different forms. I don't recall this being a tissue. A year ago, but now you look around and find many sites have people reporting trouble with the SSL certificate.
    Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that one of two things happened. Either there has been a change in protocol that has not been implemented well, or there's some kind of new trick that hijackers are using to try to hijack your browser.
    One thing you might try is to deliberately break your Internet connection and then flash the DNS cache.
    Also, you can report this to your Internet service provider. And maybe they have a virus or worm inside of their servers or routers. Anyway, it should be. Their response business fix it, not yours.

This command will clear the DNS cache.
    Code: [Select]
    ipcomnfig /flushdns

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 08:46:42 AM »
      Thanks DaveLembke for your reply.
      Always a good way to start anything that involves removing or deleting components.
      MAKE A BACKUP FIRST !!

I tried to post a screenshot but it was too big and I lost the post. So here I go again.

Thanks too Geek-9pm. I think you have a valid hypothesis. I didnt use this laptop for a while and when I did start using it recently, I got hit with a websearch browser hijack. A real P.I.T.A.
      ( My fault... I wasnt concentrating.) but being a CH member I have had some serious backup to teach me how to remove these things. ( & I thought I did a pretty good job of it.)
      Although I don't think this is related.

The link may have a spelling mistake in it though. Is it meant to be "ipcomnfig/flushdns". (Just a bit of fat finger syndrome or a late night?)

Hmm just checking on my system restore ...& there are no restore points available... at all??? not even a system checkpoint. Whats the deal with that?
      Guess I'll have to try to get restore happening first.

I'll do that first & then have a go at these suggestions.

Thanks ImnoGuru. :)

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 08:49:38 AM »
      It's ipconfig for all those commands so yes...it's a typo.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 04:35:26 AM »
        Thanks patio, I figured a late night or similar ( just checking )  ;D