Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I am back & have another problem regarding retrieving my videos from realplayer  (Read 3896 times)

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
    Here's my problem. My computer shut down last July and I could have it fixed. The memory board shut down and my computer is completely shot. I've been going to the local library for internet use and whatnot. Here's where the problem comes in. If you remember I believe, I told you about saving my videos in realplayer. Now realplayer is realplayer cloud.I had an account with the old realplayer and not with realplayer cloud. I didnt save any of the realplayer videos to anything. No disk, DVD, nothing. Is there anyway I can somehow try to retrieve these videos, just so when I'm able to get my computer fixed that their there? Even if I cant get my computer fixed is there anyway that I could retrieve the videos and play them in the library? Please help. Thank you.

hwrddrn

Rookie
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    u could remove the hard drive from your computer and place it into another computer or external hard drive case to retrieve your videos

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

The thing is that I cant turn my computer on to get the videos and transfer them. If I get my computer fixed I would be able to transfer the videos without a problem? Right now, I cant turn it on, so I guess I'm stuck. I wish there was a way I could use realplayer to retrieve my old videos.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      Jack, I think you completely missed the point made by hwrddrn in his/her reply to you.  Read it again.  What does it say?  I'll reiterate what it says.  It says to remove the hard drive from your non-functioning computer and put it in another computer or in an external hard drive enclosure. 

Do you understand now?  We know you can't turn on your computer.  Thus, the suggestion to remove the hard drive, which is where your video files are stored, and put the hard drive it in another computer or in an external hard drive enclosure. 

Now, of course, I surmise you do not have another computer.  So, that part of the suggestion is not an option in your case unless you know someone who would be agreeable to temporarily adding your hard drive to their computer as a second hard drive.  Again, this would be temporary; once the files were retrieved, the hard drive could be removed from the computer.

However, the hard drive might not work; a failed hard drive might be part, or all, of what is wrong with your computer.  In that case, you simply aren't going to get your video files back unless you can pay a high fee to a specialized data retrieval service.  And, even they might not be able to retrieve your files. 

So, the first thing you need to do is determine whether the hard drive works.  And, I think the only way you will be able to do this is to have someone more knowledgeable than you make this determination.  And, since that service will most likely involve a fee paid to a professional, you will need some money to pay such fee if you're going to get this issue resolved.

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Soybean, thank you for responding. I think what I should do is see if I could get the computer fixed, then worry about the videos. Now, a while back I went to have it checked for free, to see what was wrong with it. They said my memory board was shot. They want 300 bucks to fix it. Let me ask. Is it worth it?

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        ... a while back I went to have it checked for free, to see what was wrong with it. They said my memory board was shot. They want 300 bucks to fix it. Let me ask.
        Are you absolutely sure they used the term "memory board"?  Or, did they say motherboard?  "Memory board" is not correct terminology, so I don't know for sure what it means. 

They want 300 bucks to fix it. Let me ask. Is it worth it?
        We don't know the make, model, and age of your computer.  But, spending $300 would most likely not be a good idea.  As you can see by looking at http://www.staples.com/Desktop-Computers/cat_CL167288, new computers can be found for $300. 

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        And i would actually put a priority on getting your Data back...
        The HDD can be removed...placed in an external enclosure...and connected to a working PC...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "