Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Canon MG5450 Printer  (Read 4208 times)

ziggy15

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Canon MG5450 Printer
    « on: May 28, 2014, 02:10:40 AM »

Hi and apologies if this is posted elsewhere, but I can't see or find how to do double sided printing with the above printer. The choice is greyed out when it appears on the screen, and emailing Cannon support just seems like too much hard work, requiring serial numbers etc. I'm sure I've done it before in the past, but cannot for the life of me remember how, and general google searches have proved fruitless. I am using a Mac running version 10.9.3 and the Driver Version is 10.89.1.0. All help gratefully appreciated. Many Thanks in anticipation.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Canon MG5450 Printer
    « Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 01:59:35 PM »
    If its greyed out, It may be because the driver is incorrect for it. Have you performed a driver update.

I looked to see if it was the common issue of a duplex module missing that is an addon feature which the printer would report back to computer if the module was there or not and it wouldnt be an option or would be greyed out if module was missing such as with HP Laser Printers that I have worked with in the past.

This printer appears to have the duplex feature built in internally to it vs as a module, so the feature being greyed out to me would indicate a driver issue possibly. And updating to latest driver may fix this.

If the driver doesnt solve this, then you may be stuck with Canon support. I have dealt with them in the past with Scanners and their support is really good or at least it was 5 years ago when needing their assistance with a flat bed scanner.

Here is specs of your printer: http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Printers/Inkjet/PIXMA_MG5450/#p-specification

ziggy15

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 09:58:21 PM »
      Thanks Dave. Heading for work shortly, but will update driver later today and see what happens. Trouble with these things is, as long as they work, which it does printing single sides etc, one doesn't realise it needs an update until you want to do something different like print double sided. As I registered the product with Canon when bought, I do have to wonder why they don't notify you that things need updating, as Apps do on tablets etc? Still we shall see later, not critical or even urgent printing, just a project I have planned that would be better double sided. Thanks again.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 01:15:30 PM »
      Best of luck with driver update after work. And actually it can be a blessing at times to not have a service running to notify you of updates.

My wife has a HP Officejet 5610 and every driver I have found for it pop up on the bottom telling you that your ink is 40% and you might want to buy more and clock on link to buy our over priced genuine ink, as well as other ads. Its so annoying to the point that I haven't joined my computer to hers to print through her connected printer, but instead I will place a document I need to print onto a thumb drive and then use her computer to print it.

This pop up at the lower right of the screen suggesting to go buy ink and other HP notifications can also kick you out of full screened games etc, so it may be a blessing that you dont have notifications.   ;D