Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External expansion drive changed place  (Read 4793 times)

MiniM

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    External expansion drive changed place
    « on: June 04, 2014, 05:57:37 PM »
    I have Windows 8 system. My problem is I have two external seagate (2 Tt) expansions connected to my Computer full time (By usb) and one of them has changed its Place from G port (?) to I port. I can Access the data stored but the quick links on my desk dont work anymore. When I try them they say insert disc  or searching for program. I opened one program from I instead of desk and it didnt have the memory of previous tasks .  I would like to get  it back to G. What has happened ? Can I fix it ?

Hope that is written clearly enough .
    I dont speak Computer fluently. So if anyone has succestions please write like you are talking to a complete idiot. Thanks for reading.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: External expansion drive changed place
    « Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 07:35:03 PM »
    This is common when adding other drives such as thumb flash drives or flash cards etc, as well as sometimes Windows on its own decides that one drive comes before the other.

What I would do is shut the comnputer off and unplug these 2 drives. Then boot the system and the drive that you want to be G: plug that one in first, and then the drive that you want to be H or I plug in second, then while the system is running it sticks with the same drive letters.

I find it odd that your drive is skipping H: is there a mapping for H: elsewhere for it not to be G: and H: and instead jumping from G: to I: for both drives?

In the past I had some issues with a CF Card Reader and External Hard Drives moving around on me. To fix this, I told Windows to make the external drives have letters at the opposite side of the alphabet such as Y: and Z: since Windows by default wants to give the next available driver letter in alphabetical order to whatever gets attached next etc. If you are careful you can change the drive letter to be permanently Y: and Z: and this problem should be gone for good.

More info here: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/change-drive-letters-external-hard-drives-windows-8-67525.html

Be sure to be careful not to format the drive or delete the partition as for this will destroy your data. So backup your data to another drive if you can before doing this, although most of the time the external drives data is larger than can be back up copied elsewhere and so you sometimes just need to be careful and take the chance on it. 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 05:39:30 AM »
    If you want the drives to retain their drive letter designations then once you have it setup as you like using Dave's method above...go into Disk Management and assign each HDD a Volume Label.
    It can be any name you choose and even when flash drives are inserted now the won't re-arrange the drive letters.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

MiniM

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 04:20:23 AM »
      How do I reboot ? What do I do ? Is there something I should avoid ?

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 05:09:05 PM »
      How do I reboot ? What do I do ? Is there something I should avoid ?

Based on the first question you asked, I am curious if you were able to move the drive letters or not on your own yet?

If you are lost, my concern is if there is anyone you know who can assist you with this locally who can read the information that we share with you to follow the necessary steps to accomplish this fix for you since this may be beyond your computer skill level abilities.

I am hoping that this is not perceived as rude at all, its just that the first question you asked is one that I was really not expecting and places my assumption of your computer skill level at entry level and you may need to have stronger skills to pull off this fix that you need and someone a family member or a friend with more computer experience may be able to run easily with the information that we provide for you.  :-\

MiniM

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 07:06:06 PM »
        Hi

I don't find you rude at all.  :-* I would say I have no Computer skills.   ??? My Computer is not set to english so I also have to translate  everything.

I haven't done anything yet. I have just moved some files from the hard drive. Looked aroun if I could see something else that was odd.   Disccontrol (?) says g is there without media. In (analyze and ) optimize  there is a weird   thing.  The normal stuff except g is present but there's also a line : //?Volume(c71a3f8a-... reguires opt.

I have looked at taking this to a professional since my friends are clueless about Computers.  Possibly I will try myself and mess something up more. But more likely I will be careful.  :-\

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 07:57:56 PM »
        What language are you translating to, as for maybe I can find info that is in your native language to assist you with this for you to not have to translate. Some translators are poor in translation.

Btw I know some German and Spanish if one of those is your native language. Otherwise I am sure I can find the info you need in your language and share the link here for you. If I can find step by step instructions in your language with examples showing where to go, maybe that will work.  :)

MiniM

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 11:46:08 PM »
          I'm Finnnish  ;D  Thank You.  8)