Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Update Not Working  (Read 4308 times)

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Windows Update Not Working
« on: June 10, 2014, 10:24:27 AM »
I have a new laptop (one month old), and I have just noticed that windows update has never worked. The laptop came with Windows 8 installed, but as it was a monstrosity, I downgraded to Windows 7.

If I try to manually check for updates I receive the error: In fact now the window just freezes when I open windows udate.

I tried Microsoft's magic utility from their website to solve the problem but all it did was list the problems twice stating that the problems were both fixed and not fixed. All the correct services (according to Microsoft) are running but I still get the error message.

Help!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Windows Update Not Working
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 10:55:57 AM »
I have a new laptop (one month old), and I have just noticed that windows update has never worked. The laptop came with Windows 8 installed, but as it was a monstrosity, I downgraded to Windows 7.
This may be the problem. How did you downgrade?  Where or how did you get the Windows 7 DVD? Did the product key come with the computer?
You may have t o contact MS directly for the bet answer.

From my own limited experience, I did not get Windows 7 updates until  I loaded a version that I could authenticate with MS.

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 09:47:38 AM »
Clean Install from a Win7 home edition CD (Key on the box), the laptop only came with a Windows 8 key. Fortunatly this laptops predecessor came with Vista, which also had to go for sanity reasons.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 03:05:07 AM »
See if this would help check of any corrupt or disabled services.

Download then run Farbar Service Scanner and checkmark all boxes.
Click Scan and then a Notepad text will open. Copy-Paste the report on your next reply.